Lake Malawi Species • New! - To the forum and Mbuna

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New! - To the forum and Mbuna

Postby Lee_k » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi all,

First post, not long setup (about a month now) a Mbuna tank. Its my second tank that sits next to a Stendker Discus planted aquarium.

How this tank and stocking etc is:

Ciano Pro Emotions 120 (121cm x 40cm x 61cm)
Fluval Aquasky 2.0 33W Light
2x Betta Choice 1620UV external filters
Hydor 300w inline heater

20ish kg of Betta Samoa Sand
52kg of rock

Original Stocking:

Pseudotropheus sp. "acei" x4
Cynotilapia sp hara x3
Pseudotropheus flavus x4
Pseudotropheus saulosi x6
Labidochromis super red top hongi x3
Labeotropheus trewavasae x3
Synodontis Njasse x1

Since stocking I've lost 1 fish, although i've no idea what it was! It was one of the silver/grey duller fish, either a Flavus or Hongi but Im not sure what the 4 duller fish left are! (The other 2 I think are males so easier to tell!)

I've also this last week or so (been in 2 weeks so could of been from day 1) noticed one of the Acei isn't eating, i've treated with a course of Interpet Anti Bacteria and 2 days ago put in a dose of NTLABS Fluke and Wormer but as yet it doesnt seem to have made a difference if anyone has any ideas?

Anyway thought i'd say Hi as no doubt i'll need some help and advice (starting with trying to get photos of the 4 fish i've got left to find out if they are flavus or hongi so i know what I lost!) or just to admire other peoples tanks!

I'll work out how to add pics and throw a couple up of the tank and current fish!

Lee
Lee_k

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New! - To the forum and Mbuna

Postby SenorStrum » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi Lee,
Welcome to the forum! I know there are folks here who are much more experienced than I who will comment on the questions, but for the Acei - is it possible she's holding? I have found that fish who do not eat are VERY hard to treat. Fish don't drink either, so it's very difficult to get medicine into a fish that won't eat. Medicines are too big to pass through the gills, so this won't work either - it's why I don't add medicines directly to the tank; it's simply expensive and avails nothing.
SenorStrum

Postby Deeda » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Hi Lee and Welcome to C-F!!

Any chance you can post your water parameters and how you cycled the new tank? I am assuming you are familiar with both testing and cycling since you have a discus tank set up.

Are the fish small, mid or adult size? Did you stock all at once or over a couple weeks?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Lee_k » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi Deeda,

The filter and tank have been running for over a year now, it housed musk turtles at one point then some tiger barbs etc prior to being switched to the Mbuna.

Upon the switch of substrate and fearing alot of bacteria would be lost I did 3-4 water changes a week for a few weeks along with regular bottled "bacteria" to give things a boost tho it was unlikely I was going to kick off another cycle I monitored anyway and never saw any ammonia rise. I kept the tiger barbs (around 20) in it for a further few weeks before the mbuna stocking.

The second filter was only added at the weekend and although it'd ran the discus tank for a while before I upgraded it too a FX4 it'd stood for a long time and was cleaned out so that ones a new addition and wont have any bacteria build up as yet! Just made sense to connect it up and double the filtration ahead of all the growth thats too come and saved me going and buying another FX4 or similar

Stocking was quite quick but not all together due to sourcing the fish. I did however hold back rocks and every time a batch of fish were added, so were more rocks as well as a movearound of the rocks that were in.

Stocking was:

21st Feb - Saulosi, Flavus, Hongi
28th Feb - Hara and trewavasae
14th Mar - Acei
27th Mar - Njasse

And I think i'm probably done with stocking unless anyone thinks any numbers should be up'd etc?

Fish are all young, not showing proper colours etc as yet and maybe 2inches or so?

All other fish bar that one Acei are feeding like pigs, currently being fed twice a day on Fish Science Malawi Pallets. I've dropped a oak and algae wafer in for the catfish today as the pallets don't get anywhere near the bottom before all the other fish have polished it off! The acei seems to pick at food if I put it near him but then most the time you see him spit it back out.

Water parameters End of Feb were:

PH: 8
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10 (Was surprised at how long this was given now plants and high stocking but the tank was still quite fresh at this point so i'll test it again and let you know)
Phosphate: 3
KH:7
GH:13

I've tested Ammonia and Nitrite a few tests since that last test a month ago and always returned 0's but i've not ran all the tests. I'll do it tomorrow and update the thread.

Water change is currently once per week and around 40-50%, reef flower conditioner is the one I use
Lee_k

Postby Lee_k » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Sorry SenorStrum missed your post, I'd think its too young to be holding, it also stays out the way of other fish but in the open not hidden in the rocks
Lee_k

Postby SenorStrum » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 pm

In this case, I would try to get it to eat medicated food. You can mix some API General Cure which contains metronidazole and praziquantel. Not sure what kind of meds are available in the UK...
This article on fish not eating has been solid for me, and is worth the read. Generally it's parasites. Less common is a bacterial infection.
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/1 ... ot-eating/
SenorStrum

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:29 pm

For a 48" x 16" tank I would stock 3 or 4 species with 1m:4f of each if you choose small, peaceful species. Acei probably too big. Hara I would do 1m:4f. Flavus can be aggressive, but you could try 1m:4f or 1m:7f if you find they ARE aggressive and you want to keep them. Saulosi 1m:4f. Hongi have a rep for being aggressive, I would skip them in this tank especially with the blue barred saulosi already in the tank. Labeotropheus are large AND aggressive, I would keep them in a larger tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Lee_k » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Sorry all, its been a long work week so had no chance to catch up or update.

The fish are all already in the tank and so far there doing ok, i will get some photos or a video up!

The guy that wasnt eating seems to be showing a interest in food and having a nibble now following the NTLABS Worm and fluke meds, hes very thin tho compared to the others now so hopefully he bounces back!
Lee_k

Return to Lake Malawi Species