Lake Malawi Species • yellow lab vs firemouth in 30 gallon

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

yellow lab vs firemouth in 30 gallon

Postby eibc » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 pm

Thanks in advance! I am new to this forum.

The tank dimension: length 30 in, width 12 in, height 18 in.

I know 30 gallon is too small for cichlid, but really want to try it. Base on the stock in local fish store, I am thinking about the following stocking ideas:

(1) yellow lab. only : 1 male and 2 female

(2) firemouth only : 1 male and 1 female

(3) 1 female yellow lab and 1 female firemouth

Which one is better? Any comments are welcome
eibc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: yellow lab vs firemouth in 30 gallon

Postby Auballagh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Well hello, and welcome to Cichlid-forum! :)
-
On to your ideas....
- What are the actual dimensions of this 30 gallon aquarium? Something wide and long, will provide more bottom space in the tank and is much more desirable for keeping Cichlds than something tall in shape.
- I'm just not much of a fan of keeping New World and African Cichlid species together. And I know... people do this, often with a lot of success. More often than not however, problems are caused by keeping these very different species types together.
- The visual example provided by the LFS in keeping those fish, should never be used to determine successful stocking plans for keeping your fish at home. For one, those fish are babies! Barely past the fry stage. For another, the LFS is not going to be keeping them long-term. Displaying their fish visually nice, and selling them - FAST! - is how the LFS system works.
-
With all that said... I'm good with you keeping a COMPATIBLE Pair of Firemouths, Thoricthys meeki in a 30 gallon tank. By that I mean getting a group of six baby-sized fish and observe for the first pairing. Bam! There's your two Firemouths. Otherwise, if you just stick a male-female Firemouth in the tank together? Long term, the male has a strong likelihood of ultimately killing the female placed with him, in a tank as small as 30 gallons. :(
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Rhinox » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:11 pm

I think there's a reasonable chance yellow labs only would work with just 1 male but you'd want more than 2 females. you'd want 4-5 females at least, but a couple more probably wouldn't hurt either. And have a big rock pile in the middle with lots of caves/crevices.
Coming soon: 125g Malawi
Rhinox

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:13 pm

For a yellow lab species tank you are better off with a 36" tank and 1:4f or even more females.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eibc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:13 pm

Thanks for all your reply. The length of tank is 30 inches, so I would give up stocking cichlid. I may still go to a peaceful community tank. Definitely will try cichlid when I have a larger tank. Love it :fish:
eibc

Return to Lake Malawi Species