Lake Malawi Species • 125g All-Male Stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: 125g All-Male Stocking

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm

Send them a note Fogelhund!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Rhinox » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 am

seems to me like the ad revenue must have gone way down over the years. There's not nearly as much activity around here as there used to be. You'd think a little more involvement might be warranted? Maybe a lot of guests keep getting directed here from search results though because there's somehow over 200 views on this thread. There's another thread down the page with only 9 posts but over 1700 views :-?

Anyways, focusing less on peacocks and more on haps, I think I'm having an easier time putting a wish list of options together I'd carry with me when shopping around. Currently looking like this, of which I'd be happy with just about any subset of 10? 12? 15? idk what an appropriate number is? Some on the list have similar appearance to others so this is clearly not an "everything is compatible with everything else" list, but is there anything in there that would absolutely not be recommended with many/most of the others?

Aulonocara...
  • German Red/Ruby Red/Rubescens "stuargranti maleri" (Chipoka)
  • "stuargranti maleri" (Maleri Is.)
  • jacobfreibergi 'Otter Point' or 'Undu Reef' or 'Hongi Island'
  • Could maybe consider OB or dragonblood or albino but probably enough variety without
Copadichromis...
  • azureus
  • borleyi
  • trewavasae
  • sp. 'fire-crest mloto' Gome
Cytocara...
  • Moorii
Lethrinops...
  • sp. 'red cap' Itungi
  • sp. 'mbasi'
  • marginatus
Nimbochromis...
  • venustus 'Luwala Reef'
Otopharynx...
  • lithobates 'Zimbawe Rock'
  • sp. 'auromarginatus margrette' Likoma Island
Placidochromis...
  • sp. 'phenochilus tanzania' Lupingu
Protomelas...
  • sp. ''Spilonotus Tanzania'' Liuli
  • sp. 'steveni taiwan' Taiwan Reef
  • marginatus
  • sp. 'steveni imperial'
  • taeniolatus 'Senga Point'
  • 'Namalenje Island'
Sciaenochromis...
  • fryeri
Coming eventually: 125g Malawi
Rhinox

Postby DJRansome » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:50 am

Skip all the lethrinops in all-male. Even with other timid males, they will not color well. Mbasi is a favorite of mine in a species tank.

If you are going for a timid theme, I would skip the jakes, hybrids, fryeri, all protomelas except marginatus, borleyi, nimbochromis and moorii.

Why no blue peacocks? The Cobue and Turkis have worked well for me. And my maleri and usisya worked together even though they are both yellow.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Rhinox » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 pm

I'm ok skipping Lethrinops. They have some nice more subtle colors that probably wouldn't stand out in an all male even if they did color well.

Cobue is nice. Guess I thought I'd have a similar blue if I went with a fryeri or azureus. Turkis is fine too. I should have them both listed as options. Usisya is ok but not my favorite yellow. After Maleri Is. I like baenschi then the blue neons above usisya (which I know you already said blue neons didn't color well and baenschi is probably too similar to Maleri)

Of your suggestions to pass on to go timid I would most miss fryeri (but with azureus or cobue maybe not too much), venustus (which I already knew were out for timid anyways) and moorii (I thought these guys were peaceful tho?)
Rhinox

Postby Rhinox » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm

How up-to-date is the vendor review section of the site? Is it broken like some of the other pages? I've noticed many of the top vendors don't even exist anymore. The texas vendor I'm familiar with and have ordered from in the past is still there and it's where I plan to call first after checking my LFS. But I was wondering if in the last 10 years other new vendors have emerged that are well-liked and how one might go about finding those vendors? I've googled and found some places I hadn't seen before, but hard to know which are actually decent quality / non-hybrid / non-juiced / etc.

Also, synodontis seem particularly difficult to find right now anywhere, particularly the larger multipunctata/grandiops/whatever it is they really are and are being called now, which is what I want. The dwarf petricola / lucipinnis / whatevers maybe a little easier to find but I'd prefer the larger variant. If anyone has a tip on where I might be able to find some and can shoot me a PM that would be amazing. I think I'm far enough along now I can target end of the month or beginning of may for getting fish (but that might depend on whether I can actually get my sump to cycle at this point).

I'm still a little worried about logistics. If I end up buying adult or near adult males showing color, how much of a problem would it be if I could only add 3-4 at a time and stretch out the full stocking over like 4 months or so?

Would it be better, worse, or worse in different ways if I kept juvie labs and aceis while gradually adding the males over time? I would adjust my final stocking to accommodate the mbuna - fewer males and only the species that would have a change at being the least incompatible.
Rhinox

Postby Deeda » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm

The Vendor Review section hasn't been updated since the forum was sold to a corporate entity years ago so it hasn't been very helpful to members. What is suggested is to exchange PM's with members that have recently bought your desired fish for recommendations especially if you are buying online, usually by checking their stocking question posts.

As far as your logistics question, don't forget that if buying fish at different points in time, it is highly recommended to quarantine new purchases for at least a few weeks to make sure they are eating well and aren't bringing illness and disease to your main tank that already have fish in it.

I can't help with online vendors as I've never bought fish that way and have only bought from local breeders the last 10 years or so when in person club meetings were still a thing. I think I did send you a PM with local fish stores in our general area, have you had an opportunity to visit with any of them?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Rhinox » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Deeda wrote:The Vendor Review section hasn't been updated since the forum was sold to a corporate entity years ago so it hasn't been very helpful to members. What is suggested is to exchange PM's with members that have recently bought your desired fish for recommendations especially if you are buying online, usually by checking their stocking question posts.

Kinda suspected that. Is it the corporate entity that imposes the restriction on discussing vendors openly, or is that policy in the hands of the moderators? Only asking because I remember that rule always being in place even prior to the current corporate overloads.

As far as your logistics question, don't forget that if buying fish at different points in time, it is highly recommended to quarantine new purchases for at least a few weeks to make sure they are eating well and aren't bringing illness and disease to your main tank that already have fish in it.

Do you suppose a single 55g could work to quarantine 3 or 4 4" male haps/peacocks from the same source? or would smaller individual quarantine tanks be better? I think I'd be inclined to accept the risk of not quarantining if each new purchase came from the same familiar source. Much less inclined if using an unfamiliar source or local breeder. I fell into MTS pretty quickly when I started out before and want to try to avoid that this time around at least for a while. I could probably justify a small support rack of few tanks down in the basement as long as I'm not putting display setups all over the house like I used to :fish:

I can't help with online vendors as I've never bought fish that way and have only bought from local breeders the last 10 years or so when in person club meetings were still a thing. I think I did send you a PM with local fish stores in our general area, have you had an opportunity to visit with any of them?

I don't think that PM made it to me if you sent it, but I would be very interested in such a list! I know of the one on the west side over by the zoo. I've bought fish from Dave in the past and I'm very interested in checking out the new store. But it's a bit of a drive from Painesville so I wanted to hold off making the trip over until I was prepared to return with fish. Not really familiar with other local stores with decent african selection but haven't been to any in a decade. I think I managed to attend an OCA club meeting or auction way back (it was the fishy swap in september, 2010). Maybe even paid for a year membership. I would love to buy local and support local shops and breeders if possible. I'll be shooting you a PM.
Rhinox

Postby Deeda » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:09 pm

No, it was the original and current forum rules that prohibited openly discussing vendors, Mods only have the ability to remove vendor names cited in posts.

I think a 55G would be more than adequate, possibly even 40B unless other members nix that idea. Another option would be plastic totes of sufficient volume with air driven sponge filters, easily stacked for storage or used for other household purposes when you are done.

Sorry, I didn't PM you with the list, it was Smeagol but I did just send a copy to you!
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species