Lake Malawi Species • 75 gallon mbuna stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 gallon mbuna stocking

Postby CraziiiNinja » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:40 am

I want to get 8 yellow labs and 8 yellow tail acei. Im gonna get them as 1.5 inch juveniles, if i order them all at once its gonna be much cheaper. Is adding 16 juveniles to a new 75 gallon all at once a bad idea or can it be done? I have my new filters running on my 125g now to seed them. I also have a couple cycled sponge filters that i will add to the new tank. Thanks for any feedback
CraziiiNinja

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon mbuna stocking

Postby DJRansome » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:53 pm

It can easily be done if you cycle the tank with ammonia so it processes 2ppm within 24 hours.

Whether the seeded filters will be sufficient depends on the current bioload you have in those various tanks. Each tank's filters support the volume of fish that live there. If you take out half the media, old tank loses 1/2 the media and new tank can support 1/2 as many fish as the established tank.

I would transfer the media you are going to use, and test by adding 2ppm of ammonia. Make sure everything goes to zero in 24 hours before you order fish.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby SenorStrum » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:26 pm

I know what you mean by wanting to add as many things to the order to get a cost-per-fish down to an acceptable level. I think it sounds like a great plan, and have done it myself a "few" times :) .

DJRansome is right, though. (I'm new to foruming, but I think I'm supposed to say "+1" ...?) I'd run the filters on the other to seed them like you're doing, but I'd then dose the tank with ammonia to know everything is really good to go. Once I see it go down within the timeframe noted, then I KNOW I'm good to go. Otherwise it's just guesswork. I've guessed wrong before too, and that REALLY increases the stress level when you figure out your out over your skis with a weak cycle and a bunch of fish and ammonia/nitrite levels rising. No fun.
(Edited to correct spelling of proper nouns. All other spelling errors can pound sand)
SenorStrum

Postby Auballagh » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:18 pm

PLUS ONE TO: - -- - That Reply Post by 'SenorStrum'!!!
-
I've discovered that I'm a fan. :popcorn: -- :lol:
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to Lake Malawi Species