Lake Malawi Species • looking to add another species to my 75 mbuna

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

looking to add another species to my 75 mbuna

Postby JimSparks » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Hello all

I am looking to add another species to my 75 gallon mbuna tank. Right now I have 7 yellow labs (well 9 if you count the babies I have successfully counted and another one holding) and 9 rusties. Varying sizes from 2 to 5 inches.

After searching and researching I had decided on adding in some mainganos. This tank was a little rough to get started. Had a lot of heartaches to get to where it is now. I am concerned about adding in mainganos now because everything is smooth sailing for the time being. I don't want to upset the balance. What do you think about adding some pseudotropheus to the mix? Here is a pic of the ones I am thinking about? What numbers do you think would work?

I have 3 SunSun canisters going and I am considering upgrading to a Fluval FX6. Filtration isn't too much of a concern.

I do have a very happy bushynose in there and 6 synos. I don't get much out of them. Not nearly as cool as I was thinking they would be. I am considering rehoming them to remove that burden on the bioload. Thoughts?

psedo.PNG
psedo.PNG (134.33 KiB) Viewed 178 times

Thank you
Jim
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: looking to add another species to my 75 mbuna

Postby sir_keith » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:30 pm

JimSparks wrote: ...I do have a very happy bushynose in there and 6 synos. I don't get much out of them. Not nearly as cool as I was thinking they would be. I am considering rehoming them to remove that burden on the bioload. Thoughts?...

Not to mention that the catfish will eat your fry. :o
sir_keith

Re: looking to add another species to my 75 mbuna

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:46 pm

I don't think elongatus would be better than maingano...both are aggressive the elongatus females can be drab. Also I have never seen an elongatus colored exactly like that...look at lots of pics of them and not just the pick on the selling site.

I would personally add the maingano and remove some of the labs and rusties. Shoot for 20 fish and you want 1m:7f for the maingano.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species