Cichlid Fish Forum banner

melanochromis loriae/parallelus in the USA

848 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Fogelhund 
#1 ·
Seems that they were in the states before. From what I read about them, they are much more peaceful compared to more common melanos like auratus and chipokae. Has anyone kept them before? What are your experiences? Also are they still in the USA or did they die out. Surprising since mbuna are supposedly easy to breed

#2 ·
I don't think it is a question of dying out in the US but rather than retailers stock what is in demand. I see wochepa on the lists but not loriae. Cichlidae has this to say about the fish: In the aquarium males are almost permanently territorial and therefore it is strongly recommended never to put more than one male in the same aquarium.

#3 ·
DJRansome said:
...I don't think it is a question of dying out in the US but rather than retailers stock what is in demand...
Exactly. If you went by what's generally available from online retailers or local stores you would get the impression that the only Tropheus left in the US are Bemba, Bulu Point, Ikola, Moliero, perhaps Kasakalawe and a few others. In point of fact, there are many Tropheus being kept in this country, but most of them are in the hands of hobbyists, and that's where you have to look if you're interested in finding them. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.