Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pseudotropheus Saulosi (Chindongo)

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Stu W2 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,

I Googled this image the other day and placed it as wallpaper on my computer monitor. My wife saw it and advised me they look a lot better than the "stupid discus" that rarely move. That was all the excuse that I needed for a new tank. This is not a fish I've kept before. I know what the books say but I'd be interested to hear advise from those who have experience keeping this particular fish. I have no restrictions on tank size for this set-up other than for convenience I'd like to keep it no larger than a 72x18 or 72x24 footprint. I've thought of using a 48x18 footprint and limiting the occupants to 1M-4F of this type and the same for one other colorful species. Max 10 fish. Perhaps too small? Maybe something 60 inches?

Regards and Thanks,
Stu
Chindongo saulosi.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO the females are a little more orange-yellow than they appear in the pic and looks like you have some acei as well. 48x18 will work fine...even 48x12. You may be able to get multiple males to color, or you may only get one colorful male. I would not do the acei in 48x12.

In 48x18 I would shoot for 20 fish. Overstocking helps manage aggression. 1m:4f usually works with these.

#3 ·
Hello DJRansome,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm pleased to learn that a 48x18 will work as I have one available.

I've read that the Chindongo ride high on the rocky areas and like a good current. I'm used to using sumps so will go that route with a strong flow return pump.

What would you recommend for a second species where both male and female have color?

Regards,
Stu

#5 ·
If you go with multiple saulosi males do 3m:12 of those. Then you can do 1m:4f of something else...the acei as shown in the wallpaper would be a good choice. Avoid yellow, orange and blue barred fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.