Lake Malawi Species • Current tank setup, opinions and suggestions for stocking?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Current tank setup, opinions and suggestions for stocking?

Postby eyebleedorange » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 pm

I am just getting back into the hobby after about 10 years. Got a 55 for now to ease my fiancee into it (she's only had 1 goldfish, nothing like cichlids). I've got 8 peacocks (4 assorted, 2 I believe to be Baenschi, 2 Ngara flame tail) and a Lethrinops Red Cap hap - all males, from what I've been told though I think 1 of the assorted is a female. The 1 blood dragon is the boss, does a good amount of chasing but everyone else seems to get along. Is 9 enough for a 55 or should I maybe get a few more? I know they do better in 75g+ but I'm limited on space and permission from the missus. I think 9 is good but wouldn't mind getting one or two 3" males as well. Running an AC 110, though will likely get a canister or a 2nd 110 when they start getting bigger. Any suggestions/opinions welcome!
Attachments
PXL_20210219_110339302.MP.jpg
eyebleedorange

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Current tank setup, opinions and suggestions for stockin

Postby james1983 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:47 pm

You could probably get away with 2 or 3 more. You'll probably have to swap out the ones you have duplicates of, 2 males that look similar will normally fight for dominance. Also the lethrinops may not do to well, they are pretty wimpy.
james1983

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Yes and the dragon blood, being a hybrid, may be on the aggressive side and inhibit the stuartgranti from showing full color.

In a 55G I like 8-10 males that mature <= six inches.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eyebleedorange » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 am

The one I suspected to be female was caught mating with the male dragon blood this morning, so I am bringing her to the LFS. We're going to get a couple more males and hopefully leave it at that for a while. The dragon blood was getting super aggressive towards the others while trying to breed, since taking the female out the others have started coloring up and the dragon blood has cooled down.
eyebleedorange

Return to Lake Malawi Species