Lake Malawi Species • Filter and fish for 75 gallon

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Filter and fish for 75 gallon

Postby GalaxyKoiBoi » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 am

Hello all, new to the forum but not to fish keeping. I am setting up my first cichlid tank, a 75 gallon. I have my 300 watt heater, pool filter sand and granite boulders, 2x4 and plywood stand built, Current Satelite 48" light, and a cozy corner in the office to put it in. All ready to start cycling, but 2 questions remain.

1) is my fish selection appropriate? I have 24 demasoni's on the way. They will be here in 2-3 weeks as the supplier is severely backordered, so I do have time to add/switch out fish if needed. Is this a good amount to start the tank? If I wanted to add some electric yellows later, would I be able to safely add 12 or so? All fish are juveniles 2" or less.

2) is my filter correct? I have a fluval 407 ready to go that my friend at the fish store insists is good enough, but I've read an fx4 would be better for an overstocked mbuna tank. I haven't opened the box yet, so if needed I could exchange it tomorrow before I start cycling the tank.

A preemptive thank you for your input and advice. Excited to be here!
GalaxyKoiBoi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Filter and fish for 75 gallon

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:48 am

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

For demasoni and labs in a 75G you want to end up with 15 and 5 after removing extra males.

For labs and demasoni they can and will spawn at 1.5" so really they are mature at 2".

I like my filter to turn over the water 8X to 10X.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Idech » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am

I have a Fluval 407 in my 75 gallons with 22 fish, still young but growing well.

I added a Hydor Koralia 1350 3rd gen to move detritus toward the Marineland filter (see below), since I have so much rocks it’s impossible to do a correct vaccum job. I will be adding a second Koralia 1350 on the opposite side, to move the detritus towards the Fluval inlet, as there are still dead zones.

I also have a Marineland Maxi-jet 1200 (1200 gallons per hour) coupled with a quick connect filter and used with the venturi to provide more surface agitation and water flow and help filter more efficiently. This power head has made a major difference in the tank as there is no more visible poop in the water column. The only poop remaining is a little bit in dead zones and the second Koralia should take care of that.

My fish are still young though and if needs be, I won’t hesitate to go with a Fluval FX4. There isn’t a big difference between the FX4 and the FX6 and the FX6 is a beast, very heavy and also a lot noisier than the FX4.
Idech

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:52 pm

I actually prefer 2 smaller canisters as opposed to one big one. FWIW.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GalaxyKoiBoi » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm leaning towards getting the tank cycled with the 407 and adding a second filter down the road when the fish start growing/when I add some electric yellows.
GalaxyKoiBoi

Postby sir_keith » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Idech wrote: ...There isn’t a big difference between the FX4 and the FX6 and the FX6 is a beast, very heavy and also a lot noisier than the FX4...

That's not been my experience. I have several FX-6's and they are easily as quiet as the FX-4. For the difference in price, I'd go with an FX-6 every time, but I admit it might be overkill for a 75. :)
sir_keith

Postby Stu W2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm

DJRansome wrote:I actually prefer 2 smaller canisters as opposed to one big one. FWIW.

+1 ... perhaps another 407 when you are able.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby Ice Man » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:40 pm

DJRansome wrote:I actually prefer 2 smaller canisters as opposed to one big one. FWIW.

2 bigger canister is even better, that way when the inevitable bigger tank happens you are good to go.
Ice Man

Postby noddy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm

How do you plan on cycling the tank before the fish arrive?.
noddy

Return to Lake Malawi Species