Lake Malawi Species • New breeding tank sticking ideas

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: New breeding tank sticking ideas

Postby Chrislisk » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 am

Yes I will be adding sand ASAP probably in about a month it’s just the fish are turning up early. As long as they are ok that’s great. It’s on a black stand so hopefully reflection isn’t too bad.
Chrislisk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:27 am

Chrislisk wrote:So I’ve ordered 15 labidochromis Hongi Swedens that I am told are 100% Swedens. They arrive on Thursday this week. I am very excited to set up my new breeding project with these. I appreciate this isn’t thee thread for this but currently I have the tank as a glass bottom with rocks, for breeding would this be ok? Or should I really add. In sand like in my other? I want these to breed to will that be ok? I’ve decided I will not be adding any other fish just these.

Most large scale breeders do bare bottom tanks. It's not an issue at all.
Fogelhund

Postby Chrislisk » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:12 pm

I have been reading loads on bare bottom tanks especially for breeders. My worry is do Mbuna need/like the sand more? Would it encourage them more to breed? Or do you think tons of rocks, great quality water is all that’s needed.
Chrislisk

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 pm

Chrislisk wrote:I have been reading loads on bare bottom tanks especially for breeders. My worry is do Mbuna need/like the sand more? Would it encourage them more to breed? Or do you think tons of rocks, great quality water is all that’s needed.

They need quality water. Nothing else really. The rest is more for you than anything, but that depends on stocking. Large scale breeders will usually have a single species tank, with 12-20 fish in each tank. So, you are pretty much there. Setup the tank the way that you like, and what looks good to you. Don't worry too much about the rest.
Fogelhund

Postby Chrislisk » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Ok......so maybe I will leave it as bare bottom and see how it goes and just load in the rock. I prefer sand but it really would be nice to clean the bare bottom. Plus flush out the debris from under the rock. Here’s a pic of how it looks so far. I’ve loaded on two internals that are fully cycled as well as the two canisters that are being re set up. Just need a little more rock......excited for tomorrow.
Attachments
A821A207-38E6-42FC-9BF0-C1EC92E8A618.jpeg
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 am

So.......complete disappointment!!!!!! The company that was delivering me the 15 Hongi Swedens found that in fact they only had 4!!! And won’t be delivering today but now will be Thursday next week, another week!!! My tank was perfect and ready for today. My worry is now that I have one Demasoni in the 240 litre breeder, will she be enough to keep the filters primed with bacteria ready for another week or should I add more fish? My worry is I don’t want to take out too many from my Demasoni breeder as it would upset thee dynamics of that tank which is running perfectly. I have lots of baby Demasoni but they are 1cm. So what’s best to keep the filters ress as y for another week? Will the one Demasoni be enough?
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 am

A week should be fine without fish, but for future reference if it would be months, you could always dose with ammonia in the absence of fish to maintain your cycle.

Will they be able to get more? Hope they are all females!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:01 am

There’s one adult female Demasoni so it’s not completely empty. They said yes they will have the 15 Swedens next Thursday. If not I have another guy who said he has ordered 15 Swedens which could arrive Tuesday. So hopefully from someone I will get them. I hope there are lots of females too!! And at least one male lol I hope getting 15 should give me the best chances.
Chrislisk

Re: New breeding tank stocking ideas

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:07 pm

Great news!!! The company has delivered my 15 labidochromis Hongi Swedens today!! Very happy!! All settled in the tank and from what I can see maybe 4 males and rest are females. What a lovely fish!!!! Bright yello chest with a black and yellow bumble bee top right down to their nose. For now my tank has rock stacked on the glass but the bottom is bare bottom. I’m still not sure about the glass bottom, although it will be soooooo much easier to clean and spot holding females I worry it will stop them colouring up and that they won’t like it as much. I know it’s a breeder but still want to watch and see these amazing fish. Currently they are about 2 inches so a good size and even possible mating already. I’ll get a photo of them over the next few days.
Attachments
5E8EB146-D950-45B4-923B-A3570357ACA2.jpeg
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:09 pm

I’ve also put a BN plec from my other tank as a clean up fish, asssume he will be ok in the breeding tank? I’ve read breeders have one in most the tanks.
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 pm

Here’s the breeder so far. Any advice? Much appreciated.
Attachments
071F53D3-0BA2-484E-9796-F6D4CCF613AF.jpeg
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:21 pm

Another shot for feedback
Attachments
7A7CFC35-2C26-4E9A-8F06-A015C4F0E902.jpeg
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:54 pm

I would go up another layer, but the fish should be happy. Looks nice.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jcover » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Looks good. Personally, I think a light brown sand would look great in there. Good work!
jcover

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:08 pm

I just removed a holding female from my Demasoni tank and taken some of the crushed coral sand from there. There is so much in there it will hardly show. I’ve not got a thin layer across most the glass parts to the front rear and sides of the rock. I worry the glass will make them skittish which I don’t want. I could go up a layer as I have more rock. Think what I’ll do is let these guys settle in for a week or so before I start fiddling with the rocks or adding. I may just transfer over a little more sand but I’ll let them be for a while.
Chrislisk

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species