Lake Malawi Species • New breeding tank sticking ideas

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

New breeding tank sticking ideas

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi all. I have an empty 250 litre (uk) tank that I am setting up for breeding. Measurements are 120cm x 40cm x 55cm . This is my second breeding tank and wanted some ideas on what would be good to breed? I already breed Demasoni from another breeding tank and wanted something that both males and females have same colours or at least not dull so both sell. Was thinking peacocks but worry I won’t sell the females and only sell the males halving any fish sales. A LFS that I supply Demasoni to have said to start breeding Hongi red tops as he could sell loads. Anyway any help and advice as always is great. Also what is the possibility of breeding two types of Mbuna in this tank? Or is it best to keep to one species peer tank no matter what.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Chrislisk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New breeding tank sticking ideas

Postby sir_keith » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Forget the peacocks; the males take forever to color-up, and the females stay silver even as adults. Your LFS wants Hongi, so there's your answer: if you're breeding to sell, know your market. And if you're breeding to sell, do not sell fry from a mixed tank; keep the species pure. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Thank you for that advice. Quick question to anyone that know about the Hongi Mbuna. The LFS specifically said if I can breed the Hongi Sweden. It seems there are few different types of Hongi. I’ve seen super red top Hongi too. Does anyone know the difference or what thee Sweden version is? Thanks
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:47 pm

Sweden is a line-bred strain.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:22 am

So is there a real difference between red tops and Sweden’s and super red tops as they all have different names.
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:50 am

If he has demand for the Sweden strain and your goal is to sell hongi to him, go with the Sweden strain.

I would not just call a super red top a Sweden for the purpose of selling to him. They are all the same species.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:59 pm

I’ve decided to breed the labidochromis Hongi sweden however........I have found that they are incredibly expensive to get and.....apparently very rare. Does anyone know why this particular strain of Hongi is so rare? I’m in the UK.....not sure why that would change things. But this fish is £200 for 12!!!! At 4cm. Wow!!!!! Why is it so rare? Anyone know
Chrislisk

Postby jcover » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Doesn't seem that expensive to me, but I am from Canada - everything is expensive here ;)
jcover

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:57 pm

Is that an LFS price? They are always high.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:55 am

No it’s not a local fish shop. These fish are about double and the reason they tell me is that the Sweden Hongi is rare. Just wondered why is it rare? Hope it’s not as they are difficult to breed. It’s from a distributor <vendor name removed> tropical fish distributor, take a look on their site and see if u think they seem pricey. Do you know of any reason the Hongi Sweden would be rare?
Last edited by DJRansome on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vendor name removed to keep Review-type information in Reviews.
Chrislisk

Postby Idech » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am

jcover wrote:Doesn't seem that expensive to me, but I am from Canada - everything is expensive here ;)

I thought exactly the same. To me it’s a regular price for cichlids.
Idech

Postby Billy-the-fish » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:53 pm

I would avoid ordering from <vendor name removed>. I ordered from them and had a nightmare.
I ordered 6 zebra obliquidens
4 red empress
2 synodontis multipunctatus
Now when the fish arrived, there was only 1 synodontis. After speaking with the supplier they sent another the next day,which arrived dead unfortunately. It then took 3 weeks to receive a replacement because as he put it... I just forgot!! unbelievable. But it gets better the 6 zebra obliquidens was actually 5 zebra's and another striped fish that looked nothing like a zebra obliquiden. I sent them photo's but they insisted it was a male zebra. After researching myself came to the conclusion it was a placidichromis milomo/ hybrid.
The red empress turned out to be red fin borleyi, and the replacement synodontis multipunctatus, appears to be a petricola.
So use them at your own risk but I would avoid like the plague.
Last edited by DJRansome on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vendor name removed to keep Review-type information in Reviews.
Billy-the-fish

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up billy-the-fish.
I will keep looking around. I would be really annoyed after spending a load of money to find I get something I didn’t want. Plus the Hongi Sweden won’t show the markings until it’s out of its juvinile stage. Not sure what to do really apart from trust someone
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:50 pm

So I’ve ordered 15 labidochromis Hongi Swedens that I am told are 100% Swedens. They arrive on Thursday this week. I am very excited to set up my new breeding project with these. I appreciate this isn’t thee thread for this but currently I have the tank as a glass bottom with rocks, for breeding would this be ok? Or should I really add. In sand like in my other? I want these to breed to will that be ok? I’ve decided I will not be adding any other fish just these.
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:45 pm

Glass bottom but lots of rocks will be fine. Assume you will add sand eventually. Some fish can be skittish if they see reflections or light or through the bottom of the tank. They are aggressive so watch for extra males that cause problems.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species