Lake Malawi Species • 135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Hello everyone,

Currently I have a 135 gallon 72 inch mbuna tank. I have it being filtered by 2 FX6 cannister filters. It has 14 electric yellows 5m 9f. I am currently in the process of rehoming a few males to bring it to 3m 9f. Also have 6 yellow tail acei 2m 4f, currently rehoming a male. And lastly 10 synodontis lucipinnis.

I am curious what would be a good fit for the tank in the Mbuna world. I have been looking at Labidochromis SP. "Hongi", but I have been seeing that they have a high chance of cross breeding with the electric yellows. I do not want any cross breeding because I rehome most of the fry that my Synos dont pick off.

I like the barred fish look, and would like to stick with the red/orange color. I was also looking at the Iodotropheus sprengerae "Rusty Cichlid", but I am not the biggest fan. Are there any other options out there people have had good luck with?

Also, do you think I could fit in 2 more species with a 1m/4f ratio or would that be too many fish?

Thanks!
nickthefoxtoy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 135 Gallon 72 inch Tank Stocking Question

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:33 pm

I would add one more species. Hongi females are not as bright as the males, and they are aggressive so you would want 1m:7f ideally.

There are yellow barred Metriaclima that might appeal. Metriaclima sp zebra gold Kawanga. Metriaclima sp. elongatus Chailosi. Females drab as well.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby nickthefoxtoy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:52 pm

Thank you for the response. I will look into the barred Metriaclima.

Would the Hongi cross breed with the yellow labs? I would rather a not aggressive fish though as my tank has been rather peaceful the last year, and dont want to throw it off too much.

Can the Metriclima be added 1m/4f? Or are they an aggressive fish as well. They are a mbuna I have not heard of yet.
nickthefoxtoy

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:29 am

The hongi may not cross with the labs. A barred fish may have less risk of crossbreeding with a solid colored fish of the same genus.

The elongatus I would do 1m:7f. I am not sure of the best ratio for the Kawanga, they are not as common as the red zebras with volumes of experience by many to go by...but I would start with a larger group of unsexed juveniles and remove males if they cause problems.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:44 pm

I'd go with Cynotilapia sp. "Hara". Barred blue species, and the females look decent too. Plus, they aren't as aggressive as many other mbuna.

http://malawi.si/Malawi/Mbuna/Cynotilap ... 0Reef.html
https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=2626

No red/orange in that though, but in your tank, you could do a fourth species anyway.

For the fourth, I'd do Labeotropheus trewavassae Chliumba... the "Mpanga Red" variant. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/ ... hp?id=2295
http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Ltrewavas ... wnersx.htm
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Malawi Species