Lake Malawi Species • 75g Mixed Malawi Stocking

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75g Mixed Malawi Stocking

Postby Foresyght » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I wanted to preemptively thank you for any and all help you can give me!

I have been keeping fish for some time now and with an upcoming move to a larger place I have a 75 gallon that I want to make into an mixed Malawi show tank.

My questions for you are as follows:

#1 priority is the health and longevity of the fish
#2 priority is a good variety of colors as this will be prominently displayed in my living room
#3 not currently interested in breeding

So what I'm looking for is your input regarding an all, or mostly, male show tank. I lean towards peacocks and smaller haps as it seems like they generally have a more subdued temperament. Can you folks help me find a good stocking profile/selection that will cover a wide variety of colors while not creating conspecific aggression.

I will be shooting for 10x turnover for filtration. I am also willing to pay for sexed males. As for decoration, I am keeping it simple with stacked stone, white or black sand (not sure on color yet), and no plants. Budget wise I would rather pay more for higher quality fish/ color varieties.

Any and all constructive feedback will be greatly appreciated!
Foresyght

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75g Mixed Malawi Stocking

Postby Foresyght » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:38 pm

I would also like any information on solid lighting to make their colors pop without encouraging too much algae. Once again, I value performance over budget.
Foresyght

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 pm

I am not sure an all male tank is the most healthy environment you can provide, giving the fish the longest life spans. Read the all male article in the Cichlid-forum Library for pros and cons of all male. I personally like 12 males that mature <= six inches for a 75G tank. I tried the higher stocking implied in the article (18 I think) and found it too crowded. Aggression was better for me with 12.

I would not do mostly male however. All or nothing.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Foresyght » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:08 am

I get that. 12 seems like plenty for a 75 in my opinion as well. I don't necessarily love any of the cookie cutter stockings that they show either. Would love some input on some highly colorful Peacocks or smaller haps to fill out the 12. Was also considering adding 2-3 bristlenose. Will they be okay or will they get picked on?
Foresyght

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am

Regarding bristlenose, one is plenty for a 75G, hopefully you will not have enough algae for three of them. They can get picked on or killed (my success rate is 75%) but once they survive the initial weeks they are good for the life of the tank.

Remember with all male you should plan the need to swap and tinker with the stocking for the first two years or so. What worked for me may not work for you. The dominant fish will have the best color and the lowest fish in the pecking order will have the least color, that is just a truth with all male tanks.

I will look for my old hap/peacock stocking on an old computer I have and post back when I find it. Think stuartgranti peacocks (one of each red yellow blue) and haps like Copadichromis, Placidochromis, Otopharynx etc. Mature <= six inches.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Foresyght » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am

Sounds like a great start. Thanks!
Foresyght

Return to Lake Malawi Species