Lake Malawi Species • Surprise!!!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Surprise!!!

Postby Ren78 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi Guys,

New to this forum. We have several tanks and lots of fishy friends. I watch them all day as I have been working from home since Covid started. Well, my yellow lab was holding for about 3 weeks, then she wasn't. I just assumed the other guys did what they do and ate them. Well, I was feeding them this morning and this tiny stranger came out of a hole looking for scraps. Looks like one of her fry survived and is thriving. He has been in there unnoticed (which is huge since I stare at them all day) for about 3 weeks. His father has been guarding that hole, I just figured that since he’s an mbuna that was his hole. Nope! Daddy is protecting his one and only fry (that I know of so far). Now that I know to look for him, I am keeping tabs on him and his hidey hole. He's fast and REALLY cute!
Attachments
B88F3243-F1F9-4389-A74A-D92EE71D09FA.jpeg
Thanks!

Ren
Ren78

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Surprise!!!

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

He is not protecting the hole, he is trying for his chance to eat the baby. Mbuna parenting does not extend beyond the first day or two the fry are spit by the mom. After 3 weeks the baby may be big enough or savvy enough to live out his life safely in the adult tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Surprise!!!

Postby Ren78 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks! Good to know. This is the first female I have had to worry about. My guys are males. I have new mbunas (had them about two months) in another tank but they are too young to tell if they are male or female. Well, except the one tank boss. Pretty sure he’s a male.
Well, the little guy has survived so far. He’s quick and has taken up residence around the base of a plant in the hole. I will probably move him after the other tank cycles but I don’t want to stress them out more than once if I don’t have to. We are going to have to dismantle the tank to catch the ones that are moving. Might as well catch him at the same time. Thanks again!
Thanks!

Ren
Ren78

Return to Lake Malawi Species