Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Best Aulonocara Species

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Chester B 
#1 ·
Hi All, I wanted to get some opinions on what you think the best "natural" species of Peacock species is (no hybrids or line bred variations please).

I'm considering getting a breeding colony and have access to:

AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "NGARA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "MAULANA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "CHITIMBA BAY"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "HAI REEF"
AULONOCARA MAYLANDI (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA BAENSCHI "BENGA" (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA ETHELWYNNAE
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "COBUE"

Please include other species if you have suggestions!

Post your votes! Thanks!

#2 ·
I would go for the benga or the cobue. Although among the yellow peacocks my favorite is Maleri Island.

I would say Ngara, but their colors are not always as brilliant as desired unless they have been line bred. And when you breed them, you will not select the nicest ones to continue your strain?

#4 ·
I have a WC Cobue, was never on my original stocking list but he was suggested to me as an alternative to another fish I wanted by the guy I buy my fish from. He is a stunning fish and online pictures don't do the colour justice, he is also the Tank Boss, keeps everyone in check without pushing his weight around. He would be last fish to leave my tank . My vote Cobue

#5 ·
DJRansome said:
I would go for the benga or the cobue. Although among the yellow peacocks my favorite is Maleri Island.

I would say Ngara, but their colors are not always as brilliant as desired unless they have been line bred. And when you breed them, you will not select the nicest ones to continue your strain?
I would consider line breeding - pending how the sales/rehoming end goes. Do the cobue colour wise tend to look very similar to S. fryeri?

#6 ·
My personal favorites on this list are the "Hai Reef" and the "Ngara". Both have fantastic color / patterns, and I think would make for a spectacular breeding group! :thumb:

But honestly, any of these would be nice and I'm sure you won't regret whatever choice you make!

#7 ·
The "best" ones are the pure well bred ones, quality does matter, not all fish are the same. So pick a fish that you hope is of good stock, some people will tell you whatever you want to hear.

The Stuartgranti group are great, the "flavescent" types don't always end up spectacular, males vary, but the Blue Neon is very nice.
Maulana are very cool, a different set of colors, color up well.
Ngara can be great but the yellow-orange isn't always that bright.
Cobue is a brilliant deep blue almost like Fryeri, with some rust color.
Benga are so cool, always one of my favorites, but quality fish are not always easy to find since they are often mixed with Malaeri or not quite wild looking anymore, they have been over caught in the lake.
Ethelwynnae are a cool more subtle mild mannered fish, you would want a species tank group to insure that a male will show full color.
Maylandi rarely show that intense of color, they tend to look greyish with the yellow nape, so might be another species tank fish. Also quality of fish in the hobby is widely variable, many are questionable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.