Lake Malawi Species • Best Aulonocara Species

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Best Aulonocara Species

Postby jcover » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 am

Hi All, I wanted to get some opinions on what you think the best "natural" species of Peacock species is (no hybrids or line bred variations please).

I'm considering getting a breeding colony and have access to:

AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "NGARA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "MAULANA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "CHITIMBA BAY"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "HAI REEF"
AULONOCARA MAYLANDI (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA BAENSCHI "BENGA" (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA ETHELWYNNAE
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "COBUE"

Please include other species if you have suggestions!

Post your votes! Thanks!
jcover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Best Aulonocara Species

Postby DJRansome » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:57 am

I would go for the benga or the cobue. Although among the yellow peacocks my favorite is Maleri Island.

I would say Ngara, but their colors are not always as brilliant as desired unless they have been line bred. And when you breed them, you will not select the nicest ones to continue your strain?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Kudos to you for wanting to keep fishes that occur in nature. As for what is 'best,' that's strictly a matter of personal taste: whatever appeals to you most, for whatever reason, is best for you. :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby Ice Man » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:45 pm

I have a WC Cobue, was never on my original stocking list but he was suggested to me as an alternative to another fish I wanted by the guy I buy my fish from. He is a stunning fish and online pictures don't do the colour justice, he is also the Tank Boss, keeps everyone in check without pushing his weight around. He would be last fish to leave my tank . My vote Cobue
Ice Man

Postby jcover » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:59 am

DJRansome wrote:I would go for the benga or the cobue. Although among the yellow peacocks my favorite is Maleri Island.

I would say Ngara, but their colors are not always as brilliant as desired unless they have been line bred. And when you breed them, you will not select the nicest ones to continue your strain?

I would consider line breeding - pending how the sales/rehoming end goes. Do the cobue colour wise tend to look very similar to S. fryeri?
jcover

Postby Sean84 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:33 pm

jcover wrote:Hi All, I wanted to get some opinions on what you think the best "natural" species of Peacock species is (no hybrids or line bred variations please).

I'm considering getting a breeding colony and have access to:

AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "NGARA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "MAULANA"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "CHITIMBA BAY"
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "HAI REEF"
AULONOCARA MAYLANDI (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA BAENSCHI "BENGA" (I have one male already)
AULONOCARA ETHELWYNNAE
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI "COBUE"

Please include other species if you have suggestions!

Post your votes! Thanks!

My personal favorites on this list are the "Hai Reef" and the "Ngara". Both have fantastic color / patterns, and I think would make for a spectacular breeding group! :thumb:

But honestly, any of these would be nice and I'm sure you won't regret whatever choice you make!
Sean84

Postby noki » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm

The "best" ones are the pure well bred ones, quality does matter, not all fish are the same. So pick a fish that you hope is of good stock, some people will tell you whatever you want to hear.

The Stuartgranti group are great, the "flavescent" types don't always end up spectacular, males vary, but the Blue Neon is very nice.
Maulana are very cool, a different set of colors, color up well.
Ngara can be great but the yellow-orange isn't always that bright.
Cobue is a brilliant deep blue almost like Fryeri, with some rust color.
Benga are so cool, always one of my favorites, but quality fish are not always easy to find since they are often mixed with Malaeri or not quite wild looking anymore, they have been over caught in the lake.
Ethelwynnae are a cool more subtle mild mannered fish, you would want a species tank group to insure that a male will show full color.
Maylandi rarely show that intense of color, they tend to look greyish with the yellow nape, so might be another species tank fish. Also quality of fish in the hobby is widely variable, many are questionable.
noki

Postby Chester B » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Ngara or Maylandi no question. I've had wild caught colonies of both.

Ngara are never reddish, but more the standard blue and yellow.

Maylandi look best in a species tank, where they get to be the boss. Often times you can have more than one male colored.
Chester B

Return to Lake Malawi Species