Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New fish quarantine

950 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jcover 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to order 16 juvie fish, a mix of star sapphire and auloncara baenschi all 1-2 inches. Is it ok to quarantine that many in a 10 gallon tank for 2 weeks or is that too small of a tank?

#3 ·
Yup I have a 6' 125g with existing residents of the same species. Its my only option other than putting them directly in the tank. Usually the vendor says 1-2", but in my experience theyre usually all 1". I wouldn't mind doing daily water changes if the water quality was the issue. I just wasn't sure if the space would be too small with no hiding spots that they'd start killing each other or something lol

#5 ·
The 10g was already up and running and as a hospital tank and barely fits on the counter in my laundry room. No space for setting up another 20g or larger tank anywhere. So my options are to go directly into main tank, quarantine all 16 in the 10g, or split my order into 2 shipments and quarantine 8 at a time. Any thoughts as the best option?

#10 ·
Be careful with the rubbermaid tote... Different (non-aquarium) situation, but I filled a 20g tote with transformer oil one time and the walls of the rubbermaid tote failed. Transformer oil has a similar density (actually less dense) to water so I'd expect a similar outcome. You could brace the tote with cargo straps horizontally around it's perimeter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.