Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.
Post a reply

Species to breed-advice?

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I’d like to breed, and I’m thinking about which type would be easy, but I’m torn between a few choices. I’m kinda partial to mbunas, so I was debating on either yellow tail acei, yellow lab, kenyi or bumble bee...There is a small part of me that is interested in peacocks, but is there anything I need to be aware of beforehand..? I know I will need to purchase more “investment fish”, as I only have a pair of yellow lab, kenyi (but the male is half the size as the female at the moment, and is trying to turn back to blue), I have a pair of acei (and an additional larger male, and 3 smaller I don’t know the sex yet on), 1 large male bumble bee and I’m not sure if the other is female or not, as I purchased both a the same time at the same size, and the other one is about an inch smaller and doesn’t get “black” like the large male. I have plenty of equipment, I am just looking for input. Any would be appreciated! Thanks

Re: Species to breed-advice?

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Reason I’m asking, is I would probably just end up getting a “breeding pack” from somewhere...if it’s easier than just trying to add/pair with the ones I already have and get them to bond, so to speak...are there any recommendations on where to get them online..? I’ve been looking at <vendor name removed> so far
Last edited by DJRansome on Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Vendor name removed to keep Review-type information in Reviews.

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:24 pm

What are you going to do with the fry? You would need more tanks and yellow labs would probably be easiest raise and easiest to sell. Do not expect to profit.

You would want large tanks for bumblebee or kenyi. 1m:7f of those. Acei large tank (48x18 or larger) but 1m:4f will work, they are easier. Keep the yellow labs separate from the kenyi.

Never heard of a breeding pack, I sent you a PM with a vendor idea.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:48 pm

jstrat302 wrote:Reason I’m asking, is I would probably just end up getting a “breeding pack” from somewhere...if it’s easier than just trying to add/pair with the ones I already have and get them to bond, so to speak...are there any recommendations on where to get them online..? I’ve been looking at <vendor name removed> so far

You're going to miss a lot of the fun by purchasing a breeding group. It's cool to raise a group of juveniles together until they are old enough to spawn. That said, all Malawians are maternal mouthbrooders, and don't form pair bonds, so behavior-wise you get territory defense and courting, but not much else. But the most important question has already been asked- 'What are you going to do with the fry?' It's been many years since it was easy (and lucrative) to sell Malawians to the LFS. PM me if you want suggestions about buying sexed Mbuna and/or Peacocks.
Post a reply