Lake Malawi Species • Restocking strategy?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Restocking strategy?

Postby JimSparks » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:48 pm

So I've had trouble as of late with the tank getting established. I think it has finally settled down to a point where I can start to restock. I have 2 rusties, 4 yellow labs and 2 socolofi in there. My plan is to rehome the socolofi, rebuild the rusty and lab numbers to about 7 each and add 8 mainganos.

My question is should I up the rusties first. Then the labs. Then add the mainganos? Add all of them at once? Or something else?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Restocking strategy?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:38 pm

I would wait three weeks after the last fish death. You can swap out the 2 socolofi and add 4-5 rusties right away. Then wait a month and do the labs if your nitrite and ammonia are zero.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JimSparks » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you so much. So I would plan to bulk up the rusties. Wait a month. Add 3 more labs. Then wait a month to add the mainganos.

Sound like a plan?
JimSparks

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:34 am

The reason you are waiting a month is to test ammonia and nitrite to ensure your beneficial organisms are able to grow enough during the month to cope with the new bioload. One month minimum and longer if you get any reading on those tests.

There is also the concern that you do not know what happened with your recent fish deaths.

The reason you can do 4-5 rusties at once is that you will at the same time rehome the socolofi. Do both of these things at the same time.

If you want to end up with 7 rusties you may want to add more rusties a month after the first 4-5 new ones and before moving on to the labs so you end up with lots of females.

Repeat with labs. Sometimes they are a little more forgiving about tolerating a high male ratio.

Maingano are aggressive. I would add 12 or more so you can swap out some males if they cause trouble as they mature.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JimSparks » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:43 pm

How would the Mainganos compare to Demasoni as far as aggression? Is one less aggressive than the other or is it a wash?
JimSparks

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 pm

Maingano are aggressive but fine in a 48x18 with 1m:7f of thereabouts and are easy to keep. Demasoni are better IME in groups of 12 or more and are difficult to keep. Agressive yet delicate, they get sick more easily than other mbuna IME.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species