Lake Malawi Species • Malawi Mbuna biotope

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Malawi Mbuna biotope

Postby Chili_girl » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Thinking of revamping my 125g 6' ft and creating a biotope set up.Tank has substrate of Argonite sand and filled with large rocks. I have Red Zebras estherae (5-6), Hajomaylandi Chizumulu (7-8), Maingano (7-8), elongatus Chewere (3m, 1f ) and multipunctatus (all adults) currently.

I know I probably shouldn't have so many Metriaclima together and would like to break it up by adding new fish. Any suggestion on tank design or stock list? I'm liking the Chindongo saulosi Taiwan Reef. By the way is Chindongo a relatively new classification?

Vicki
75g Yellow labs, Cobalt zebra, Cyno Jalo Reef, Rusties
125g Red zebras,Chewere Elongatus, Hajomaylandi chizumulu, Maingano, multipunctatus
30g Brevis, Simbu shell comp and Juli regani
55g Permutt, Acei
Chili_girl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Malawi Mbuna biotope

Postby DJRansome » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Adding a species does not help with the problem created by having too many Metriaclima species. If they get along I would just avoid saving fry and add females to existing groups, especially the elongatus. I like 25 mbuna in a 72" tank.

Chindongo is a new classification. I would skip the saulosi with the other blue barred fish in the tank (elongatus).

Tank design? For a biotope you might have sand on the bottom and fill the tank with rocks. Maybe not all large ones.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species