Lake Malawi Species • Msobo Deep Colony

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Msobo Deep Colony

Postby Nate_Mbuna » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:56 pm

I have a 30 gallon long that was stocked with 4(1m/3f) Rusty cichlids and 4(1m/3f) Msobo Deep cichlids that were all juveniles. Sadly my male Rusty bullied 2 of my females to death and won't leave my last one alone so they will likely be removed from the tank leaving just my msobos which have been doing amazing and still rather young. I would like my Msobo Deeps to breed hopefully at one points. Any tips or info for breeding this species or just the species in general since I have problems finding solid information about them.
Thanks,
Nate
Nate_Mbuna

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Msobo Deep Colony

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Their behavior is similar to Metriaclima estherae. I have msobo (not Membe Deep) and very similar so far.

Which are yours...Msobo or Membe Deep?

Apparently they have a new name:

A new species of Lake Malawi mbuna cichlid: Metriaclima koningsi, previously known provisionally as Metriaclima sp. 'membe deep',
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Nate_Mbuna » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:33 pm

When I bought them it said Msobo Deep. The males I think for the Membe Deep are lighter blue without the black splotches. While the male Msobo is a darker blue with the splotches of black. Mine has been getting darker and showing signs of the splotches so I do believe they are the Msobo Deep.

Are they becoming a more defined species then instead of being grouped?
Nate_Mbuna

Postby DJRansome » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 am

It would either be msobo or membe deep a.k.a. koningsi. Two different fish. If yours is mature and has the dark markings overall that would be msobo.

Yes the membe deep now has an official scientific name.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Nate_Mbuna » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 am

This is going to be hopefully my first successful colony and gonna let nature take its course kinda colony what ever fry live, live. I've made sure to put smaller crevasses to have spots where fry could survive. However is there any rock formations that Msobo Deep enjoy best such as caves that would encourage breeding.
Nate_Mbuna

Postby DJRansome » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:18 pm

Whether your fish are msobo or membe deep or koningsi, they are mbuna and enjoy having rocks fill the tank to the waterline, or as high as you can get. I usually can't get much higher than half the height of the tank, but the floor is covered except for one Python width between rock piles and glass all the way around.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Nate_Mbuna » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 pm

My tank is rather similar having two rock formations which I have seen others use.
I've been trying to stack rocks higher to block line of sight if needed but like you said best I can manage is half usually.
Nate_Mbuna

Return to Lake Malawi Species