Lake Malawi Species • Stocking Mbuna Advice 47G Tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Stocking Mbuna Advice 47G Tank

Postby Haplochromine guy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm

Can people tell me what the decision is right now for what Mbuna and how many gallons is 180 liters? I use the Imperial System (I think that's correct) of the U.S.
I have some experience with Africans and the more aggressive Mbunas in particular.
Haplochromine guy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Mbuna Advice

Postby aconite » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 pm

180 litres is about 47 US gallons.

Just to confuse matters, Imperial gallons are actually different, and 47 US gallons is about 39 Imperial gallons ;-)
aconite

Postby BC in SK » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Haplochromine guy wrote: how many gallons is 180 liters?

1 U.S. gallon = 3.8 litres
1 Imperial or U.K. gallon = 4.5 litres.
So 180 litres would be 47 U.S. gallons or 40 Imperial gallons.
Haplochromine guy wrote: I use the Imperial System (I think that's correct) of the U.S.

Unlikely, living in the U.S.A., that you will ever encounter volumes that use the Imperial system. U.S.A. separated from Britain in 1776. Sizes got standardized after that, and that is why they ended up slightly different in the U.S. then Britain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_unitsCountries part of the British empire, like Canada, became independent from Britain after sizes got standardized, so generally used the Imperial system. For example, in Canada, at the gas pump, gas was sold in imperial gallons (4.5 litres) That is, until about 30 some years ago, then it was made law that it must be sold in litres. But aquariums were an exception as they have always been labeled and sold in U.S. gallon sizes.
Another example is the fluid ounce. U.S. fluid ounce is slightly smaller then an Imperial fluid once. In Canada we use the American for cans (355 ml) and the British for Beer bottles (371 ml).
BC in SK

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I have had a 39” 200 litre tank with 4 yellow labs and 14 Demasoni. The colour combo is great. I did it on DJ ransom advice. So far it’s been up and running for about 6 months and it’s doing well. I’ve had about 60 babies from the demos that have all sold on. Tank doing well.
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Haplochromine guy wrote:Can people tell me what the decision is right now for what Mbuna and how many gallons is 180 liters? I use the Imperial System (I think that's correct) of the U.S.
I have some experience with Africans and the more aggressive Mbunas in particular.
What is the length of the tank? What species are you considering?

You may wish to start a new thread so that TomJones can continue to get replies to his question.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Haplochromine guy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:14 pm

I really wanted to know what you guys have recommended as far as Mbuna stocking. I know a good deal about them.
Haplochromine guy

Re: Stocking Mbuna Advice 47G Tank

Postby DJRansome » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Recommendations will likely depend on how long your 47G tank is.

Standard length in the US for 55G is 48" long.

Standard length in the US for 40G is 36" long.

What length is your 47G tank? Is it a standard rectangle shape?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species