Lake Malawi Species • Why won't my peacocks breed?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Why won't my peacocks breed?

Postby kaylahannah14 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Hey guys! This is my first post here, and about half a year ago I discovered and fell in love with African Cichlids! This made me want to expand the hobby to breeding them as well. I currently have a 40 breeder that has been fully cycled, and has perfect water parameters that match my main show tank. In this tank I have one gorgeous matured male dragon blood peacock of about 5 inches, three matured female dragon blood peacocks around 3 inches each, and one female albino dragon peacock around 2.5-3 inches. I have had them in that tank by themselves for about two month's now, but none of them are holding. I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything that I am doing wrong or is there is something more I can do to encourage the process? Just a background, the tank gets a 40-50% water change every week, the cichlids are fed brine shrimp, cichlid pellets and and algae wafers every other day. They are all in good health by appearance and by the way theyre behaving. The male looks like we wants to mate and has established areas in the tank, but none of the females seem to want to mate. There are lots of caves and hiding spots in the tank as well. The previous owner of the mating group said the females have held successfully before and when I bought them one was already holding but lost the eggs during transfer. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
kaylahannah14

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Why won't my peacocks breed?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

I would just give them time...several more months.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:30 pm

DJRansome wrote:Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

I would just give them time...several more months.

I agree; it sounds like you are doing everything right, just give them a bit more time. Two months after a relocation is barely enough time for them to settle in. Good luck! :fish:
sir_keith

Postby kaylahannah14 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks so much guys! I wasn't sure how long the process was supposed to take, so I'm glad I'm not doing anything wrong.
kaylahannah14

Postby Haplochromine guy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Try feeding them more often the females would be in plump condition. You can probably wait a bit more tho. My peacocks when I had them didn't breed for 6 or 8 months.... Also make sure each female has territory and there are plenty of rocks in the tank (particularly flat ones). WCs are good too as they jump-start the male(s).
Haplochromine guy

Return to Lake Malawi Species