Lake Malawi Species • 75g Mbuna tank - can I add more

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75g Mbuna tank - can I add more

Postby JimSparks » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Hello all

Thanks for all the help so far. I have a new 75g Mbuna tank set up. The fish all seem happy so far. It has only been a couple of days but they seem to be adjusting and eating and out & about. This is much better than the 40g I tried and failed with.

My question is, can I add a few more in there as they are still young and small. The largest is about 2 inches. As I was unbagging the fish my 2 year old says to me, "Where is my pink fish daddy". Ummmmm. Ok. So I was thinking of adding a group of Labeotropheus trewavasae (chilumba) ochre while everyone is still small and finding their place. I plan to add even more rocks than what is in there now so that will help I guess. I currently have 2 canister filters running and a Penguin 350 biowheel. The Penguin will go away and be replaced with a 3rd canister filter. I may even toss on an AC 110 for good measure. Can we say overkill?

Anyway, right now the residents are:

6 x Electric yellow labidochromis caeruleus
4 x Cynotilapia afra (jalo reef)
4 x Iodotropheus sprengerae
4 x Pseudotropheus socolofi "mara point"

So I am thinking of adding the group of 4 to 6 trewavasae and a group of 4 to 6 Synodontis lucipinnis.

I want to add some pink/red fish in the mix to appease the boss (my 2 year old) but I don't want to do that at the risk of blowing something up again.

Can I get your thoughts on all of this?

Thanks,
Jim
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75g Mbuna tank - can I add more

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:25 am

I would not add a species but you could add females of the same species you already have. One female each for Jalo, sprengerae and socolofi.

There is not really a red or pink mbuna. You would have to switch over to a peacock tank and get a hybrid called strawberry for pink.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: 75g Mbuna tank - can I add more

Postby sir_keith » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:40 pm

If I were you I wouldn't change a thing. Your tank may look understocked at the moment, while the fishes are small, but that will change as they grow. You don't have enough space for another species, and adding more females does nothing except to increase the biomass in this tank, to no discernible end. Be patient; this will be a lovely collection once your fishes mature. :thumb:
sir_keith

Return to Lake Malawi Species