Lake Malawi Species • I learned my lesson

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

I learned my lesson

Postby JimSparks » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 am

I learned my lesson. I tried 12 Demasoni and 4 Yellow Labs from Tampa Bay Cichlids in a 40-gallon breeder. Against most of the advice I found here in the forums. It seemed ok for the first week. Then I went on vacation for a week.

It was a catastrophe. I am not sure what happened. Water parameters were good when I came back. Nitrates were a little high - time for a water change but everything else was at 0. Temperature was steady at 80 degrees. I am not sure if it was just aggression or what. But I am down to 3 labs and 1 demasoni.

Filtration is 2 SunSun 303b canister filters and one Aquaclear 70. Tons of rocks to hid in. PFS substrate.

Next steps - figure out what happened so it doesn’t happen again. I am sitting next to a 75 gallon that is ready to go. I am going to swap out the tanks, clean everything up and put the survivors in their new home. Then I will look to restocking and NOT losing almost all the fish this time.

I have been studying the cookie cutter setups. I think what I have settled on going forward is:

Pseudotropheus Socolofi x 4
    Labidochromis Yellow lab X 4
    Cynotilapia Afra x 4
    Metriaclima Cherry Red Zebra x 4
    Synodontis x 5/6

Any thoughts on my future stocking plans would be appreciated as well. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Needs to be colorful and active enough to entertain the 2 year old. :) I don’t want to screw this up this time around.

Thank you

Jim
JimSparks

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I learned my lesson

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am

I would choose zebra or lab but not both since they crossbreed. I would not add the demasoni.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JimSparks » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 am

Thank you. Since I already have a few labs left, do you have any suggestions for a 4th group instead of the zebras? Maybe some rustys?

In your opinion
JimSparks

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:08 pm

Rusties are good.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species