Lake Malawi Species • Do female Aulonocara chase?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Do female Aulonocara chase?

Postby Bamzam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Is it mainly the males that are aggressive or do the females chase each other also?
Bamzam

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Do female Aulonocara chase?

Postby tires_6792 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:23 am

Yes. i have had many female cichlids chase each other. Most are not as aggressive or prolonged as the males I've had.
tires_6792

Postby Bamzam » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 am

Ah ok. I'm down to a group of 6 Aulonocara baenschi all between 2.5-3.5". The dominant male has fully colored up, but none of the remaining 5 have. One of them is hiding out behind a filter showing signs of being bullied. I watched the tank for a couple hours straight yesterday and noticed one of the non colored ones in particular that was picking on the small guy that hides. I can't tell if its a male that just hasn't colored up yet or just a mean female.

Any other tips for sexing them? I want to get my total tank qty to around 25 fish. If this group was 1m:5f, I want to leave the quantity for this species as is and buy another 16-20 of 2 different species. If any of the non colored ones ended up being male, I want to add additional females for them, so id have to buy less of the new fish.

Should I wait until these are bigger and im able to sex them with certainty? But I like the idea of all my fish starting young and growing together.

Tankwill be a 72" 125g
Bamzam

Postby DJRansome » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:07 pm

If there are multiple males in the tank, the sub dominant ones may not color. Quick/easy way to tell is put any suspected males in a tank alone...they will color if old enough.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tires_6792 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 am

Bamzam wrote:Ah ok. I'm down to a group of 6 Aulonocara baenschi all between 2.5-3.5". The dominant male has fully colored up, but none of the remaining 5 have. One of them is hiding out behind a filter showing signs of being bullied. I watched the tank for a couple hours straight yesterday and noticed one of the non colored ones in particular that was picking on the small guy that hides. I can't tell if its a male that just hasn't colored up yet or just a mean female.

Any other tips for sexing them?

Should I wait until these are bigger and im able to sex them with certainty?

Tankwill be a 72" 125g

You can try and sex them by looking at their vents. Probably will need a magnifying glass at that size.
male will have 2 similar sized vents Example oo
Female will have 2 different sized vents Example o0

Also, Aulonocara males will usually get white stripe down the dorsal and longer points on it and the anal fin.
tires_6792

Return to Lake Malawi Species