Lake Malawi Species • Smaller haps

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Smaller haps

Postby BigBeardDaHuzi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:33 am

What are some of the more peaceful and - particularly - smaller haps out there?

My tanks footprint is only 48x24. I need to keep my fish around 6 inches or under. But I am not very interested in Mbuna.
My main stock will be aulonocara, and I will probably avoid any of the jacobifreibergi (sp?).
But I would like to have more than just one shape of fish in the tank with a different splash of color.

I am looking at the sulphur head lithobates and the deepwater hap. What others am I missing? Most of the haps I want (moori's and star sapphire) get too big.
BigBeardDaHuzi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Smaller haps

Postby fishboy75 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 am

Check out Otopharynx tetrastigma. They are in the species profile here as Tramitichromis Intermedius. They are either the same fish or very closely related and often sold as one another.
fishboy75

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:21 pm

You want to choose one otopharynx...either the lithobates or the tetrastigma. I do like the tetrastigma.

Copadichromis chrysonotus or azureus or trewavasae. Azureus is the most reliable.

Protomelas marginatus, sometimes hard to find but a favorite of mine.

Do you already have other fish in the tank? These are wimpy haps and do best with other more timid haps and peacocks.

Avoid lethrinops since they often don't color well in a male tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishboy75 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:08 pm

DJ, even though the Tetrastigma and Lithobates look nothing alike and are more peaceful species? I get they are from the same genus but if that was the main reason no one would keep any peacocks together because they are all Aulonocara. I get it when the fish are similar looking or more closely related. Just curious, thanks.
fishboy75

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:13 pm

They are both in the blue/silver range. You would basically only keep 3 peacocks...one blue, one yellow and one red.

Because they are peaceful, you have to do everything possible to coax these haps to color and this includes removing competition. Try it...with all male you EXPECT to have to swap fish in/out over the first two years to get a peaceful mix with 80% of them colored.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BigBeardDaHuzi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:07 pm

Thank you all. That gives some great roads to research.

I don't have any fish yet. I am trying to do as much research as possible beforehand to cut down on surprises.

I am mostly aiming for “wimpy” fish. When they are bigger I might put in something feistier (and younger)like on OB, Lemon Jake or a Eureka. My girls always seem to gravitate to the dragonbloods too
BigBeardDaHuzi

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:42 pm

I think they would lose color when you add the jakes regardless of age. Why not just switch to the feistier fish now?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species