Lake Malawi Species • Help with Demasoni - do I buy more?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Help with Demasoni - do I buy more?

Postby Andybrun » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I've got 4 Demasoni in a newly established mbuna tank. (Had 6, 2 died.) No idea what sex they are as difficult to tell although they are now entering adult stage... 2 are aggressive and dominate the tank. 1 of the less aggressive fish hides and the other hangs out at the back of the tank. All get on quite happily at feeding time, although the one that hides doesn't feed much that I see. Lots of hiding spots for all the fish and there are 10 more juvenile yellow labs in there too. 4ft x 12 inch tank and 18 inches high so about 40G. Heard its best to keep 6 or at best 12 or more. Quite like the demasoni but have just read they are very difficult to take care of due to their aggression. The other 2 were kind of bullied to death or starved. Should I go for more demasoni? Other option is to rehome/ offer back to fish shop and stock with something else. Thanks ;o)
Andybrun

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help with Demasoni - do I buy more?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:57 pm

I would rehome the ones you have. What happened will keep happening. The one hanging out is being bullied. Lots of hiding spots makes no difference IME.

Sounds like you have plenty of fish with just the yellow labs.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Andybrun » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 am

OK thanks for you help here. Unfortunately I think your advice is probably best! Would like more fish in the tank tho if poss. Could try another compatible mbuna species or a couple of herbivore peacocks swimming on top as a friend has said this could work too. Appreciate any further comments or advice ;o)
Andybrun

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 pm

Peacocks don't swim just at the top IMO and females are drab. I would not add a selection of male peacocks when you already have 10 yellow labs...for all male in a 55G your max is 10.

15 is a good number in a 55G and you already have 10 labs. You could try 1m:4f of Iodotropheus sprengerae a.k.a. rusties.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby fishboy75 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:46 pm

What about one male each of Aulonocara baenshi, Aulonocara stuartgranti Ngara and Otopharynx lithobates Zimbabwe Rocks? All stay under 6 inches, are on the peaceful side and don't look like each other. No worries with food as the yellow labs are omnivores and not vegetarians and most quality food like New Life Spectrum or Northfin is good for all Lake Malawi cichlids. Good luck!
fishboy75

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:14 pm

IMO too many fish in a 55G when some of them are single males. If you wanted the 3 haps I would lose a bunch of the labs.

For me Ngara was wimpy and may not color well with the labs. I think these all grow to six inches, but that is not so much of a concern.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species