Lake Malawi Species • Williamsi Juveniles

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Williamsi Juveniles

Postby 01722 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 pm

Do male Williamsi juveniles look similar to females? I've got 2 Williamsi around 2" and they both look like typical females (grey green with two dotted black stripes). I was just wandering if males look like female before they color up. The guy I odered them from said he thought one was a male when he sold them to me at 1.5".
125G- Perrot fish, Yellow Lab, Dragonblood, Red Empress, Turkish, Blue Dolphin, Venustus, Red Eureka, Ruby Red, Bicolor, Red Shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, Thickskin, Chromogynos, Synodontis
60G- 18 Mbuna (less aggressive species), Clown Loaches, Synodontis

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Williamsi Juveniles

Postby Cosi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:59 am

Yes they look similar as juveniles and are difficult to sex when small.
Cosi

Postby noki » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:35 am

All juvenile Malawi cichlids look similar to the adult females. They start out the same and males get male color/characteristics with maturity. Young male WIlliamsi will be drab, though the dominant male in a tank will color up early.

The only exceptions are the genetic mutations with the OrangeBlotched and Orange gene.

Some rare mbuna actually have all male like color for juveniles, like Demasoni or Maingano, but males and females still start out the same just like the other juveniles.
noki

Postby 01722 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:09 am

Thanks,
At 2" it probably looks like I've got 2 female Williamsi. No indication either of them are changing color. I like the breed. I'll probably try to get a few more with a confirmed male later on.
125G- Perrot fish, Yellow Lab, Dragonblood, Red Empress, Turkish, Blue Dolphin, Venustus, Red Eureka, Ruby Red, Bicolor, Red Shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, Thickskin, Chromogynos, Synodontis
60G- 18 Mbuna (less aggressive species), Clown Loaches, Synodontis

Return to Lake Malawi Species