Lake Malawi Species • Two holding demasoni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Two holding demasoni

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 am

I have had no problem with doing that for Malawi and Victorians assuming the mother's tank has 10ppm nitrate or less.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby SoccerMbunaAndShak » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:00 pm

What I do is put the holding female in a 5 gallon plastic tote/box with plenty of very small holes (I think 1/8 inch in diameter). The tote is in the main tank, with a couple of rocks to weigh it down. I put her in the box in the second week. I put some hornwort in the box too, as well as a small terracotta pot, if the fish feels threatened. By the 18th day, I usually put a little food in the box to encourage her to spit, which she usually does. Once I notice the fry in the box, I catch the mother, gently strip her of any remaining fry, and put her back in the main tank. I move the fry immediately after that to a grow out tank. For the grow out tank, I use a big plastic tote which I believe is 55 gallons (4 and a half feet long, a little more than a foot wide). I like this method because the other fish in the tank can see and smell her, so that when I introduce the female back into the tank, it isn't like I'm introducing a new fish, which can lead to aggression. I don't really like stripping too much because it isn't very natural. Nowadays, I just let holding females spit into the tank, which is a lot more budget friendly. As previously mentioned, you will not be able to keep them all.
SoccerMbunaAndShak

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 pm

So fry are safe from adults in the main tank because the plastic is rigid, as opposed to the usual net boxes where the adults in the main tank crush the fry right through the net and suck the remains through.

Why don't the fry escape through the holes?

Why not put the mom in her own 20G tank to wait for time to spit? Does she seem comfortable being confined to the 5G box for several weeks?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:53 pm

Not wanting to steer off subject here but first females fry are all in the tank and doing well. Second female still has not spit yet!
I have a 5 gallon empty tank at the moment but........I only got a sponge filter three days ago which I am seeding on the main tank. My question is if the remaining female has not spit by tomorrow will it be ok to move the female to her own tank. I am worried the fry in there will eat the younger fry when they come. I would transfer the seeded sponge filter and add a dose of fluval cycle which I have over the next few days to add the needed bacteria? I assume the bio load for one holding female won’t be much? Or should I just leave her in the tank with the fry? Thoughts..... Thanks
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:16 pm

Why not move the fry to the 5G?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 pm

I could do I guess. So either way it’s ok to do with the water and slightly seeded sponge and fluval cycle?
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:31 pm

But if I did move the female that’s ok? Think she is easier to net than the fry
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Quick update. I have 19 demasoni fry. 9 that are about a week and half old and the other that are about 2 days. You can tell the difference between them in just nearly two weeks. Here are pics of the two fry. How long before I can put them together in a grow out tank?
Attachments
7DC55ACB-BC58-424F-8B48-DB8A521213A9.jpeg
D9BC42F7-9665-491B-A583-2FBFC908705E.jpeg
Chrislisk

Postby Bamzam » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:23 pm

That's awesome
Bamzam

Postby Chrislisk » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Thanks.....will be for sale if your near me lol
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:58 pm

When the smaller ones are 1/2 inch long. Nice size clutches for demasoni.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Thanks....you have been really helpful! I have another holding female who I want to get out into a tank, I have managed to get a pair of 15 gallon tanks so I will use them as more maternity tanks. I just need to get my hands on a grow out tank. I’d like to have about 30 fry as that would be a nice amount to sell hopefully.
Chrislisk

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species