Lake Malawi Species • Two holding demasoni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Two holding demasoni

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm

@shiftyfox my internal filter has the bottom of my wife’s tights over it......no way any fry will get through. The sponge is hard up against the vents anyway so it’s all ok. I’m not wanting to strip her. As much as I really want to raise this fry I also want to see the process and how the whole mouthbrooding works. I think watching the two females I’m learning too. One least question as one of the females are letting the fry in and out, there are no egg sacs and they are free swimming at what stage do I add a little food? Thanks
Chrislisk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:15 pm

If free swimming i feed straight away, 3 times a day.
I start off off with NLS grow (powder) but crushed flake is fine.
Once they are 5-6 weeks old they should be able to eat 0.5mm pellets.
The two batches I currently have are 5 months old, I feed them 3 times a day, each sitting I like a mixture of flake and half mm NLS ‘Thera a’ pellets.
I understand you want to observe and that’s great. Next time give stripping a go.
So far I’ve done 35 water changes...
shiftyfox

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:18 pm

I can see the tights now, good idea.
shiftyfox

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pm

So when would you start feeding bearing in mind right now they are all in her mouth? She lets them out when I’m not looking at the tank and when I walk in or go to the tank she collects them back up quick and they are all gone. Shall I just put some in for them for when she lets them out?
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:41 pm

If there are no egg sacs, feed them 3X or 4X daily. They have no other source of nutrition.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Chrislisk wrote:Sir kieth I am trying hard and yes I have a tendency to fuss, just don’t want to mess up! So your advice is........just leave them? Let them be as they want to be and when the time is right just remove the females as and when? I really do appreciate your advice

Yes, that's what I'd do. If the female is still taking the fry into her mouth whenever you approach the tank with a net, it's too early. Once she doesn't want to hold the fry anymore, you can move her. It's not the end of the world if you lose a batch or two; they will breed again. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby Chrislisk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm

One female for the last few days has now let her fry go and not sucked them back in, although they have stayed close to her. I plan to put her in the main tank tonight after feeding her for the last few days. My question is how I get her back in the best possible way. My idea was do it late at night when others are all calm to not draw attention to her. Net her into a small tub of the water she is in and mix some back from the main tank, then place her back in. Would this be correct or would anyone do things different? Thanks
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm

I keep all my tank parameters the same, so I just net her from one tank to the other with no special prep.

I have no luck with the night thing because by the time I get the net in everyone is awake. I just do it in the daytime.

Changing 50% daily on the fry tank...it helps to net her while the water is low.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Ok thanks for the advice! My parameters are the same but I’ll test the temp first to make sure it’s similar. Can I check you are advising 50% water changes daily on my fry tank?
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Yes, but that should have been happening from the day they were spit. If it has not been, then don't start until you check the parameters.

With daily changes, you would have had pH and nitrates close to your tap water.

Now you have to check your starting place.

BTW matching main tank and maternity tank parameters includes nitrates. You don't want to go to cleaner water suddenly, it can kill the fish.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 pm

She is back in the main tank now. I mixed some water from the main with the maternity tank to help her adjust just in case. So far she seems fine. I will test the water tomorrow on the maternity tank and go from there. Thanks
Chrislisk

Postby sir_keith » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:43 pm

So far so good; you certainly have put the effort into this! I must say, I have enjoyed this thread, because it made me recall the excitement of my first Mbuna spawning- Labeotropheus fuelleborni, red-top male x OB female. The fry were so cute! That was 1971, and I was living in NJ, within driving distance of the main African importers. A very fun time! :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby shiftyfox » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 am

DJRansome wrote:BTW matching main tank and maternity tank parameters includes nitrates. You don't want to go to cleaner water suddenly, it can kill the fish.

I wonder if that’s why I lost a batch of fry a few months back, every single fry but one died.
The water parameters were all good. I put about 30% main tank water and 70% fresh water into the fry tank.
Over two days they stated dying off and I couldn’t figure out what was going off.
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:11 am

Good is relative.

My point for OP is you would want maternity tank and fry tank to both have matching nitrate levels. Even full grown fish can be killed if they are used to higher nitrates and you give them a 100% water change.

My solution would have been to change water in the tank with the higher nitrates and then just net the female.

Lake Malawi and Lake Victoria fry I have never had to use main tank water for fry tank water changes. Lake Tanganyika fry...yes.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby shiftyfox » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 am

So before stripping fry into there new tank should that tank contain 100% water from main tank..?
shiftyfox

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species