Lake Malawi Species • Two holding demasoni

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Two holding demasoni

Postby sir_keith » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:26 am

Chrislisk wrote:I’ll go get some java moss over the next few days for the tank with both holding females for the fry to hid in. I only have rock in the tank no substrate, I do have some deft wood from my other tank if that’s any good so assume the moss will be ok on that? Would it be worth netting the first lot of fry into the fry (plastic) floating tank I have in the maternity tank and then when the second female releases I can then have the fry separated or am I over thinking this? Shall I just let both females release and remove soon after they do? I’d like to keep as many fry as possible given my resources and knowledge.

Well, in that case I'd just add the Java moss, and move the females into the main tank soon after release. I still think that keeping them together for a while is best for all concerned in the long-term, but I understand your enthusiasm for raising these first batches of fry. But remember that if you already have two females that have held to term, they are likely to be even better parents the next time around. Good luck.
sir_keith

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:30 am

I have not noticed any difference in future parenting between fish that are stripped and fish that spit naturally.

That said, I rarely strip and I do notice fry count diminishing within a day or two after the mother spits them.

Just a different experience.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:07 am

I’ve put some plants that the LFS said will work as well as java moss for fry to hide in. I think my plan will be let the first spit and leave her a few days and feed her what I can and return her to the main tank and go from there. Thanks for your help
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:23 am

Exciting news! One of the two holding females this morning has babies swimming around her.....the she swiftly sucks them all back in! What an amazing thing to watch! She has spit them out then let them swim just a little way away from her for maybe a minute or two then sucks them back in one by one. She has done this maybe 5/6 times this morning. How long will she continue to do this before they stay out for good so that I can separate her into the main tank? Other female is still holding...thanks
Chrislisk

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:34 am

Soon as she spit I’d be putting her straight back into the main tank. If you wait too long you’ll have no fry left.
shiftyfox

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 am

When I go near her she collects them up? Are u saying I should get her now?
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 am

Some of us say yes, some of us say no. You are not going to get consensus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:21 am

As she keeps sucking them back in I have managed to get her into a fry/breeding floating tank in the maternity tank. I’m thinking when she lets them out again they will go down into the fry trap. I’m kinda doing what I think is best here!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:28 pm

This did not work! She spit out four and then managed to suck three back Up though the gaps. She won’t let them out of her mouth. I have given up on that idea!! So now she is back in the tank with all but 1 fry that I managed to save and isolate in the small fry box. Other than stripping her what can I do as when she sees me coming she sucks them back into her mouth, I have no chance to net her if the fry. For a first time mum her maternal instincts are on point!
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm

What’s everyone’s thoughts on using my syphon to suck out the fry into a bucket, I can then bet the mum and take to main tank and then transfer fry back to the tank again? Will this stress and kill the fry?
Chrislisk

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm

You save so much hassle if you net mum from the main tank after 18 days, strip in to the fry tank and return her immediately
shiftyfox

Postby shiftyfox » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:24 pm

I can’t see clearly but just be careful that internal filter don’t suck your fry in, you’d be better off with a sponge filter
shiftyfox

Postby sir_keith » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:15 pm

DJRansome wrote:I have not noticed any difference in future parenting between fish that are stripped and fish that spit naturally...

That may (or may not) be true for Mbuna, but the collective experience with mouthbrooding Tanganyikans has been that stripping is counterproductive for future parental behavior both in that generation and in the next. This makes perfect biological sense; it's called 'imprinting.'

DJRansome wrote: ...That said, I rarely strip and I do notice fry count diminishing within a day or two after the mother spits them...

I have never seen that. Perhaps it depends on tank size; my brooding tanks are all 36 or 48 inches. Even in smaller tanks, I have never seen fry predation in Tropheus.
sir_keith

Postby sir_keith » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Chrislisk wrote:As she keeps sucking them back in I have managed to get her into a fry/breeding floating tank in the maternity tank. I’m thinking when she lets them out again they will go down into the fry trap. I’m kinda doing what I think is best here!

If I read this whole thread from start to finish, my impression is that you're trying to hard, and all this fussing is unnecessary.
sir_keith

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Sir kieth I am trying hard and yes I have a tendency to fuss, just don’t want to mess up! So your advice is........just leave them? Let them be as they want to be and when the time is right just remove the females as and when? I really do appreciate your advice
Chrislisk

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species