Lake Malawi Species • male c moorii blue dolphin?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

male c moorii blue dolphin?

Postby phillum » Sat May 30, 2020 3:26 am

Hi,

I got a group of 3 C moorii blue dolphins and the owner said claimed they were all female but just recently these 3 dolphins got really dark and started circling around each other all 3 trying to mate. Pictures 5 and 6 are the other 2 females. Saw this dolphin pictures 1, 2,3, and 4 its anal fin looked more pointy and slightly longer past the tail fin. Would this one be a male then? I had another male and his was way longer and more pointy very obvious but not really this one. I read females can also breed drop eggs without males present to fertilize the eggs? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
phillum

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: male c moorii blue dolphin?

Postby phillum » Sat May 30, 2020 3:58 am

also if it is a male it is the smallest of the 3 in length surprisingly but it is very plump looking. I thought males would be alot bigger than females at the same age?
phillum

Postby Mr Chromedome » Sat May 30, 2020 11:29 am

Well, the first fish is definitely a male. I had a trio back in 1977, and the male was slightly smaller than the females, so I don't think that's going to matter.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 30, 2020 11:32 am

The only place I saw that females are significantly smaller than males was the CF article. Cichlidae did not mention a size difference.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby phillum » Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 pm

here is a better pic of the first female and 3 pics of a third female dolphin.

Ok good to know i have one male in the group. Looking to breed these and he gets along very well with female number one the lightest colored one. My first group batch i randomly picked the dolphins and ended up with the opposite 3 males and 1 female. Found it harder to get find females than males. Most articles suggested 3 females to one male. Good to know males can be smaller than the females i was told males usually are and have to be bigger so i had bought bigger dolphin males for them to be able to breed but none of the bigger males seem interested in breeding and then i saw this happen with these 3.
Attachments
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
phillum

Return to Lake Malawi Species