Lake Malawi Species • Aggressive female blue dolphin moorii?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Aggressive female blue dolphin moorii?

Postby phillum » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 am

Hi,

I have a group of 6 blue dolphin moorii and there are currently 4 females and 2 males 5 of them being sexually mature from 3-6 inches each 1 female is still young at 2 inches. I decided to buy another adult female dolphin moorii to make it 5 females and 2 males as i would like to breed them. I added the new female in and on the second day she's already adjusted to the tank and she was being quite aggressive towards the 5 bigger ones. She started flaring at all of them and even shaking her body at them and she became very dark and started to kind of dominate the group. She even chased one of the males who is slightly smaller around the tank for a short little bit but so far she has not done any damage yet just some chasing.

The person who sold it to me told me he is pretty sure 100% its a female as he saw it breeding in his tank dropping eggs but no male so eggs all just got eaten. She was the only dolphin in his tank full of peacocks. I know all fish have different personalities but i was pretty surprised to find that this female is really aggressive and dominant. I attached some pictures of her. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1247.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
phillum

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aggressive female blue dolphin moorii?

Postby phillum » Mon May 25, 2020 4:48 am

I'm hoping she does not become a tank bully and a problem fish. My biggest dolphin male used to be a tank bully and chased all the other dolphins around when i first got him but he has really completely mellowed out after about a year of having him in the tank.
phillum

Postby Fogelhund » Mon May 25, 2020 11:30 am

It looks more female, than male to me... but then, this isn't the easiest species to tell on all fish. I'd just give it some time, and see how it works out. As long as nobody is getting hurt, just some time and patience perhaps.
Fogelhund

Postby phillum » Mon May 25, 2020 3:30 pm

ok i hope this is the case i looked at her this morning and she is still a very dark dominant blue in colour and she was still pushing the other 5 adult dolphins around. She chases the bigger male as well still. I asked the owner and he told me its a confirmed female as she dropped eggs about 1 and a half months ago and just dropped eggs a few days ago before i bought her. I think she will likely become the new tank boss just don't want the other 5 to be stressed from her constant chasing them around. Sometimes she is ok swimming with the group and other times she chases them. So far she has not damaged anyone yet.
phillum

Postby phillum » Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am

Could it possibly be a male due to its behaviour and color then? Should I perhaps try to vent this dolphin or?
phillum

Postby sir_keith » Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm

phillum wrote:Could it possibly be a male due to its behaviour and color then? Should I perhaps try to vent this dolphin or?

Yes to both. Behaviors rarely lie, and I would bet that this fish is a male.
sir_keith

Return to Lake Malawi Species