Lake Malawi Species • Numbers/ratio

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Numbers/ratio

Postby Bamzam » Sun May 24, 2020 11:06 pm

At what quantity of a single species does ratio of m:f not matter? Would like to order a good quantity of juvie peacocks for a 75+ gallon tank and was hoping with enough in numbers to spread aggression, I won't have to remove any males when they mature.
Bamzam

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Numbers/ratio

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 am

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

IME it always matters unless you choose a peaceful species like Kandeense. In a 75G I like 20 individuals with mixed gender.

It is an unusual question because only the males are colorful among peacocks.

Recently an experienced Member stated with regard to mbuna and referring to a 50" tank filled with rock that ratio did not matter. I cannot corroborate, I never tried it.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 am

Bamzam wrote:At what quantity of a single species does ratio of m:f not matter? Would like to order a good quantity of juvie peacocks for a 75+ gallon tank and was hoping with enough in numbers to spread aggression, I won't have to remove any males when they mature.

You would need at least 10 specimens in the tank. One of my long-term fish friends, who imports Malawi's, and also breeds them, keeps them in 50:50 ratios (because that's how they are imported) in such tanks. Typically at least 10 individuals, sometimes 16, depending on the species. This is a guy who has been in the hobby some 35 years or so, is extremely successful breeding them, and is in demand to do talks at cichlid conventions. Noting... this is single species only. Sometimes, when you keep multiple males of the same species, it targets the dominant males aggression, to the other males, and the females actually get less pressure.
Fogelhund

Postby shiftyfox » Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 am

DJRansome wrote:Recently an experienced Member stated with regard to mbuna and referring to a 50" tank filled with rock that ratio did not matter. I cannot corroborate, I never tried it.

Interesting, so with a large enough tank with mix gender Mbuna the golden rule 1M 4F could be broken and potentially work meaning more colourful males in the tank and potentially less aggression towards the females if the males are keeping each other busy?

So with certain Mbuna species and a large enough tank could you do a 3:3 ratio with 3 species in 75G
shiftyfox

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Fogelhund has stated this. I have not found this to be true, but I probably was not able to stack the rock all the way to the surface like the tank he referred to.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 pm

shiftyfox wrote:
DJRansome wrote:Recently an experienced Member stated with regard to mbuna and referring to a 50" tank filled with rock that ratio did not matter. I cannot corroborate, I never tried it.

Interesting, so with a large enough tank with mix gender Mbuna the golden rule 1M 4F could be broken and potentially work meaning more colourful males in the tank and potentially less aggression towards the females if the males are keeping each other busy?

So with certain Mbuna species and a large enough tank could you do a 3:3 ratio with 3 species in 75G

It really isn't a golden rule anywhere, although it's been a recommendation for beginners here for years, as it does make things easier for people just starting out. In the case I had responded to, that is being referenced here, it was a 3:3 ratio, rather more species, in a tank larger than a 75, with trios and quads. Plenty of rockwork too. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/vie ... 9&t=451415

Would 3:3 of three species in a 75 gallon work out with mbuna... probably not, and note, only the dominant males would be fully coloured anyway. You might have one most dominant species, and that types males would probably be the top species in the tank, to the detriment of the other species. Certainly, you could do two species, with 4:4 or 5:5... assuming the two species were fairly equal, or at least sufficiently different that they won't bug each other.

The challenge with golden rules, is that there is no singular sets of rules that work everytime... but the purpose for this at this website, is to make things easier (and less complicated) for beginners. Those of us who have kept fish for decades, know that there are exceptions, and that even golden rules don't always work out.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Malawi Species