Lake Malawi Species • Kawanga Gold in Demasoni Colony

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Kawanga Gold in Demasoni Colony

Postby KawangaGold89 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm

Hey everyone,

I hope all are doing well. I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd share my tank and current stock list. I have a 60g tank with an emperor 450 and emperor 350 bio wheel penguin, both are marineland filters. I'm currently using white sand for substrate along with 70lbs of rock for the tank-scape, a few pieces being Texas Holey Rock. There's also about three fake tree decors to help position the rock as well. First on the stock list are my colony of Demasoni, there's about 15-20 of them and their sizes vary, second on the list and hence the inspiration behind my username are 5 Kawanga Gold Zebras 2 of them males for sure and 1 sure female, leaving the other 3 still unsexed for now. The Kawanga Gold has such an amazing deep yellow that only compliments the deep ocean blues the Demasoni so famously carries.

I have had this group altogether since about 7/30/2019 and was thinking of adding maybe a group of White Top Hara,not sure if they'll fit within this stock list but they were my next in line of interest. Attached are some photos of my male Kawanga Gold and some of the Demasoni colony, I plan on updating from here on out randomly and would like to know what the rest of the community thought, thanks in advance and look forward to meeting you all, cheers.
Attachments
IMG_2499.jpg
IMG_2496.jpg
IMG_2494.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2424.jpg
IMG_2375.JPG
KawangaGold89

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Kawanga Gold in Demasoni Colony

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I did not have luck with hara and demasoni. The hara survived but did not thrive and did not color well. They were much better, color and health, in a tank without the demasoni where I moved them after giving up on the mix.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Cosi » Mon May 18, 2020 11:17 am

Nice fish! What are the dimensions of your tank?
Cosi

Postby Fogelhund » Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 am

Chidongo demasoni can be a funny fish, in that if the conditions are not right, you are going to start losing them. If your tank is working for them, I'd be tempted not to change anything.

If I were to add a fish in the tank, it would be a White Labidochromis caeruleus though.
Fogelhund

Postby sir_keith » Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Beautiful tank; I wouldn't change a thing... :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby KawangaGold89 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:26 pm

DJRansome wrote:Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I did not have luck with hara and demasoni. The hara survived but did not thrive and did not color well. They were much better, color and health, in a tank without the demasoni where I moved them after giving up on the mix.

Hey Ransome, I’ve had the Hara before with Demasoni and they did well. They were in a 40 gal breeder tank, had about 15 Demasoni and 8 Hara back then and they did amazingly well, which is why I thought about them as a suggestion I can understand the advice in such a case. I do know the chemistry in every tank is different, appreciate it.
KawangaGold89

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Mine did well enough, but after 2 years together I could see deterioration in the hara...and they sprang back to perfection as soon as I separated them.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby KawangaGold89 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:37 pm

Fogelhund wrote:Chidongo demasoni can be a funny fish, in that if the conditions are not right, you are going to start losing them. If your tank is working for them, I'd be tempted not to change anything.

If I were to add a fish in the tank, it would be a White Labidochromis caeruleus though.

Hello Fogelhund,

These are Kawanga Gold Zebras sp. Metriaclima not the Chindongo Flavus, and so far they’ve done well just need some more females to add, but I’ve been hearing these fish are really rare, not sure how true that is, but yeah.
KawangaGold89

Postby KawangaGold89 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:22 pm

Cosi wrote:Nice fish! What are the dimensions of your tank?

Hey Cosi,

Thanks, the dimensions to my tank are: 48 3/8 x 12 7/8 x 23 7/8
KawangaGold89

Postby KawangaGold89 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:23 pm

sir_keith wrote:Beautiful tank; I wouldn't change a thing... :thumb:

Hey Sir Keith,

Thank you much, appreciate it.
KawangaGold89

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 pm

KawangaGold89 wrote:
Fogelhund wrote:Chidongo demasoni can be a funny fish, in that if the conditions are not right, you are going to start losing them. If your tank is working for them, I'd be tempted not to change anything.

Hello Fogelhund,

These are Kawanga Gold Zebras sp. Metriaclima not the Chindongo Flavus, and so far they’ve done well just need some more females to add, but I’ve been hearing these fish are really rare, not sure how true that is, but yeah.
Chindongo demasoni. They changed the name.

The Kawanga Gold are readily available but also not common.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am

KawangaGold89 wrote:

Hello Fogelhund,

Yes, I know what you have... I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought you had flavus?? The Kawanga aren't all that common, that is true. It's more of a hobbyist fish at this point, than a mass produced farm fish.
Fogelhund

Postby KawangaGold89 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:12 pm

DJRansome wrote:
KawangaGold89 wrote:

Hello Fogelhund,

Chindongo demasoni. They changed the name.

The Kawanga Gold are readily available but also not common.

Ohh got it, thanks.
KawangaGold89

Postby KawangaGold89 » Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
KawangaGold89 wrote:

Hello Fogelhund,

Yes, I know what you have... I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought you had flavus?? The Kawanga aren't all that common, that is true. It's more of a hobbyist fish at this point, than a mass produced farm fish.

Yea sorry I misunderstood, I was unaware of Demasoni being Chindongo lol so I assumed you meant the flavus because they look similar to the Kawanga, my mistake.
KawangaGold89

Return to Lake Malawi Species