Lake Malawi Species • My yellow lab & Demonsoni tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: My yellow lab & Demonsoni tank

Postby Chrislisk » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:20 pm

I’ve not got three to put in with him. Just transferring him from my smaller community tank
Chrislisk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Deeda » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Try adding the BN a few hours after the tank has been dark and the existing fish are sleeping.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Chrislisk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am

Ok BN will be added tonight fingers crossed! Sorry if this is a silly question but can I just skip him in rather than bag him and do the normal water dropping in over an hour? The water parameters and temp are the same in both tanks. Thinking he won’t get spotted as much that way.
Chrislisk

Postby Deeda » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am

Just net him and transfer to other tank.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:07 am

Over the last few days I have noticed two demosonis that seem to have extended bottom jaws kind of angled is best to describe them and not eating. I thought maybe they are holding. This morning I have woke up to find those two plus maybe two others that all have chunks taken out of their tail fins and all look like they have the same extended bottom jaw again like it’s angled. None have eaten and all others have. Are these holding females? If so what do I do or if not what do I do lol. I have a tank that I can set up with a filter that is cycled
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:25 am

If their mouths are full of eggs, it makes a bulge under their chin.

As I recall you do not have a huge number of demasoni? You may have aggression problems if 4 females are holding and you don't have lots of remaining females that are not holding. Think about taking out the male(s) and putting them in the other tank for now.

Next question is are you set up to raise fry? You would need a 20G Long tank set up just like the adult tank...cycled. Use the next 18 days for this.

If you want to try to save all 4 groups of fry, I would leave the moms in the main tank (assuming they are safe) until day 18 and then strip them into the fry tank. Put them right back in the main tank after stripping.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Bamzam » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Quick question on this subject. If you did nothing with the holding females, they would spit the fry in the main tank and the fry would get eaten. Does this have any impact like deterring the females from breeding again in the future?
Bamzam

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:06 pm

No that works fine when you have 1 female holding and lots of other females for the male to spawn with. The females will spawn when they can, possibly even more so if her fry disappear. Survival of the species.

OP has not the full complement of demasoni since she is adding them gradually over a period of months. With 4 females holding and chunks out of their tails...I am suggesting removing the males so they are safe for the next 18 days since OP wants to save fry.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:23 pm

I have 14 demasoni currently, no plans to add any more as my rank is stocked fully and over. I’ve filled my 20g with water from my main tank and taken one of my already cycled internal filters of my main tank and set up the tank and put the two females in with some rock, if anything I hope the get a little rest. I still have 2150 litres per hour on my existing filters which is fine. See what happens I guess but both these have bulging bottom jaws. Assume they can stay until they spit them out them back with the rest.
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:19 pm

I do not put holding moms together in the maternity tank. The reason I put a mom in there in the first place is so that she will feel comfortable there is no one around to hurt her babies and she will release sooner. The second mom defeats the purpose.

Hope all goes well!

Test the main tank for ammonia and nitrite...when you remove a filter you also remove that portion of beneficial organisms.

PS it is not so much whether you have 14 demasoni as how many females available to spawn are there. Since 4 are holding, they are out of the running. Ideally you have 1m:9f counting the 4 holding moms.

Chunks were missing, so even with all 4 holding moms in the tank you had an aggression situation.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:25 pm

So what should I have done? Kept them in the main tank and then Take out the two males (the ones I am 100% are males) and leave what I think are all females, or at least the ones that don’t go around all macho and then hope that the two who are holding possibly don’t get beaten up by a new alpha that rises or even other aggressive females?
It seems like very hit and hope....is it surely not better to just take the two out as they will be better away from the main tank where there more guaranteed not to get beaten up. I am Trying so hard to make this all work out and protect the colony but also get some fry too. Maybe I’m trying too hard.
Chrislisk

Postby Chrislisk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

The filter I removed is a depurifier filter so works differently to a normal filter. It doesn’t really colonise bacteria like a traditional filter does. It runs electrical currents through speacial media to purify the water. Look them up....ocean free hydra filters.
Chrislisk

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Chrislisk wrote:better to just take the two out as they will be better away from the main tank where there more guaranteed not to get beaten up.
Good for the 2 females, but does not solve the aggression problem in the tank for the rest of the females, holding and not holding. See what happens.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species