Lake Malawi Species • Too may fish?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Too may fish?

Postby Jackie123 » Sat May 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Curious if others think i have too many fish or i can get more to balance out the male to female ratio.

There is chasing and 4 males defend their territory by chasing other fish away and sometimes the males fight. There isn't any blood. (The Kennyi, Saulosi, Cynotilapia zebroides (Cobue) and a Demanson's)

I have a 75 gallon tank, with 2 canister filters (EHEIM type 2215 and 2213). I've had them for a year now.

4 Demanson's
1 Kennyi male
1 Yellow lab male
5 Saulosi 2 make, 3 female
Cynotilapia zebroides (Cobue) (male n female)
5 Babies they had (mix?) 5
Pleco 7 inches long

Thanks!
Attachments
20200509_140723.jpg
Jackie123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Too may fish?

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

Too many species IME for a 48x18 tank. I like 4 species with 1m:4f of each as a starting place. These fish are harem breeders so you don't want 1m:1f...instead you want 1m:4f for the peaceful ones and even more females for the aggressive ones.

Kenyi and demasoni are exceptions to that. Kenyi is very aggressive, I would remove the one fish. Having lone males with females of other species is likely to result in hybrid fry.

Demasoni like to be in big groups...I like 15 of them in a 48x18 tank with one male or three plus all the rest of the 15 females.

You have three species of blue barred fish in the tank...I would choose one and build the rest of the stocking around that.

Which is your favorite?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species