Lake Malawi Species • 70G 6' Mbuna

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

70G 6' Mbuna

Postby Michael_S » Sun May 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Hey guys,

Been a few years since I've been on here. Back in 15' or 16' during highschool I built a 6' long tank, but its only 70G (72x15x15). During college I've been helping my parents stock and manage the tank from the distance with occasional visits home.

Currently, I have two pretty outdated Marineland Magnum 350s plus a wave maker (I don't remember the model honestly).
The filters are slowing down in production and my dad wants to get some new canisters.

I'm aiming for a turnover of 6-8x the total gallons for the tank (open to opinions/suggestions). There's currently about 20 mbuna and some are getting to decent sizes. However, a trio of WC greshakei are constantly spawning and my dad claims that he's been watching a group of fry over the last month or so make it through the 'getting eaten' faze.

So my question is really regarding the filtration.
Trying to be reasonably economical, I'm thinking the Hydor 350 (250ish GPH) on the opposite end of the wave maker. On the side by the wave maker, I'm struggling for what should go there. I don't want to get another Hydor because that's just money I don't feel like spending. Given that my parent's largest concern is the noise as the tank sits under the TV in the living room, I was even thinking of a quiet HOB. I've used Marineland penguins in the past, but then made my way into canisters.

To sum it up, I'm almost 100% set on the Hydor and my main concern is what to put in on the opposite end (probably something in the 250 GPH range give or take). Also, the tank undergoes water changes every 1-2 weeks.

i appreciate any feedback! Happy quarantine y'all.
70G Mbuna
Michael_S

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 70G 6' Mbuna

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 pm

I would not go less than 8X GPH. I have never had a problem with the API Rena Filstar filters and the XPS which is comparable in GPH to the Hydor is less expensive.

The HOBs are not all that quiet especially if you are not changing water more often than 2 weeks...you don't want to top up water in between and with evaporation the HOB will be more noisy than when water is right up to the lip.

I would do 2 canisters.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Michael_S » Sun May 03, 2020 10:24 pm

DJRansome wrote:The HOBs are not all that quiet especially if you are not changing water more often than 2 weeks...you don't want to top up water in between and with evaporation the HOB will be more noisy than when water is right up to the lip.

Thanks for the reply. By 'top up water' do you mean add water to compensate for evaporation between changes? If so, would it be causing harm if it's just to add a few gallons to get the HBO to quiet down?

Also, thanks for the rec on the XPS, I might go with the XPM (300gph) to get closer to 8x total turnover. Recent reviews suggest the quality in manufacture has regressed for this product, but I'll still consider it for now.
70G Mbuna
Michael_S

Postby DJRansome » Sun May 03, 2020 10:51 pm

Don't top up without changing the equivalent amount of water. When the water evaporates, the nitrates get even more concentrated because they don't evaporate.

I always think of it as the reminder I need to change the water and the reason I can't wait more than a week.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Michael_S » Sun May 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Good point, I'll keep that in mind.
70G Mbuna
Michael_S

Return to Lake Malawi Species