Lake Malawi Species • Redder red peacock

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Redder red peacock

Postby Itsroger » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:39 pm

I am wanting a red, or partly red peacock. Which is the reddest of the reds.... I have a lwanda but he is really orange on top. So please give me some opinions on which peacock is redder...
Itsroger

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Redder red peacock

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Pretty much all red in Africans is really orange or yellow. German or rubescens IMO.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noki » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:15 am

"Red Shoulder" from the south eastern coast of the lake are the closest natural to having red in the body, more like a rusty orange to dark red with a lot of dark shiny royal blue. "Cobue" has reddish ventrals.

Then there are the so called "reds" sold as German Red, Ruby Red, Or Rubescens, which are aquarium strains which vary widely. They are not consistent breeds, some are hybrids, some just line bred, each fish can be different , some are very reddish-orange, some are closer to yellow-orange, some are more blue. Some of these males can be very attractive, some not terribly exciting.
noki

Postby Adamson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Not sure if you are on Facebook, but a lot of the Facebook groups have posts of super deep red peacocks. However, the really red ones seem to come from Thailand; and well, I do not trust those ones.
Adamson

Postby DJRansome » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Intense colors could be hormoned or photoshopped or even just careful lighting.

I own a cobue peacock with the "red" ventrals but it is a blue fish overall.

I have owned rubescens and noki is right they vary and some are redder than others, but all basically orange.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Adamson » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:39 am

I think an in-depth discussion about juicing is warranted. Growth hormones are used to quickly make the fish look more mature, mainly more mature coloring. However, growth hormones, in a traditional sense, should not create colors that the fish would not develop as an adult. Now I see these bright red peacocks online from Thailand, and of course I assume they are using growth hormones that are illegal in the U.S., however, these reds seem so unnatural, that I don't think it can be from growth hormones.

Maybe they use dyes.
Adamson

Postby Itsroger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Adamson wrote:I think an in-depth discussion about juicing is warranted. Growth hormones are used to quickly make the fish look more mature, mainly more mature coloring. However, growth hormones, in a traditional sense, should not create colors that the fish would not develop as an adult. Now I see these bright red peacocks online from Thailand, and of course I assume they are using growth hormones that are illegal in the U.S., however, these reds seem so unnatural, that I don't think it can be from growth hormones.

Maybe they use dyes.

Might be, I understand that the red parrots are sometimes blue, purple, and pink, due to being injected with dye.
So if they're dyed they won't reproduce the color....
Itsroger

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm

Adamson wrote:I think an in-depth discussion about juicing is warranted. Growth hormones are used to quickly make the fish look more mature, mainly more mature coloring. However, growth hormones, in a traditional sense, should not create colors that the fish would not develop as an adult. Now I see these bright red peacocks online from Thailand, and of course I assume they are using growth hormones that are illegal in the U.S., however, these reds seem so unnatural, that I don't think it can be from growth hormones.

Maybe they use dyes.

The reddest Peacocks aren't dyed... most often it simply is massive amounts of over hormoning, if from Asia. There are foods that can increase the reds in fish as well, that contain Astaxanthin for example, that is common in parts of Europe.
Fogelhund

Postby 01722 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 pm

This is a Ruby Red and he's not one of the more dominant peacocks in the tank.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200417-224157.png
Screenshot_20200417-224157.png (193.82 KiB) Viewed 517 times
125G- Perrot fish, Yellow Lab, Dragonblood, Red Empress, Turkish, Blue Dolphin, Venustus, Red Eureka, Ruby Red, Bicolor, Red Shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, Thickskin, Chromogynos, Synodontis
60G- 18 Mbuna (less aggressive species), Clown Loaches, Synodontis

Postby BlueSunshine » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:03 am

Red is a term used very loosely in the hobby...you know....like redtop lawanda, yellow and orange is all you get. :lol:
BlueSunshine

Return to Lake Malawi Species