Lake Malawi Species • Aggressive Peacock Timeout?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Aggressive Peacock Timeout?

Postby jpbdh4 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm curious if anyone has had positive results temporarily removing an aggressive peacock / cichlid and then reintroducing them to the tank.?

Current all male stock which has been consistent for years: (excuse any lack of technical descriptions)

Red fin Borleyi - 6.5"
Yellow lab - 4"
Blue Moorii - 7"
Otopharynx lithobates Zimbawe Rock - 5"
Protomelas sp. Liuli - 7"
Copadichromis Fireline Mloto - 5"
O.B. peacock - 4"
Aulonocara Yellow Regal - 4.5"
Aulonocara sp. Sunburst - 4.5"
Ndiwe Fire Hap - 4"
5 large Danios
2 bristlenose

Never any issues, typical occasional mild chasing. No real tank boss per se, just a moody fish every now and then.

5 days ago the Red Fin decided to flex. He hasn't claimed a particular territory but chases 3/4 of his mates more than normal. Fine. But he's taken to the yellow blaze and fireline. Day and night chasing. To the point of jacked up fins and a decent amount of scale loss on both.

First two days I let him be as cichlids can be cichlids. Then a weekly water change and complete aquascape redesign. Even tried having a heart to heart with him lol no dice.

Water fine. Temp always 77.5°

At this rate the days are numbered for the two unfortunate fish, and then who knows. Any thoughts on next step? Removing him for a while? If so how long? Full disclosure my other tank is in use and he can't be housed there. Would have to pick up another cheapy or...
jpbdh4

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aggressive Peacock Timeout?

Postby jpbdh4 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:20 pm

FYI this isn't my first run in with fish of this nature but the last two instances have been ones going on murder sprees so the course of action was clear. This is a slower moving ship than those.
jpbdh4

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Rehome him. Time out has never worked for me no matter how long the time-out...even months. Always the same thing when the fish comes back.

Isolate the injured fish so they don't infect the tank...even if they cannot recover. Or consider euthanizing if you have no hospital tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jpbdh4 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:39 pm

DJR - yeah, I was thinking that as I'd rather protect the flock. Usually they find the next ones after these. I think I'll act now before it snowballs out of control. 'Rehome' and recovery mode. Nip it in the bud. I appreciate your straight fowardness based on experience.
jpbdh4

Postby BlueSunshine » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Sounds as if the Red fin Borleyi is weeding out the weak.

I usually keep the strong and let go of the weak, Just a thought.

P.S- the red fin isn't a peacock.
BlueSunshine

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:49 pm

True. If the borleyi is your favorite, rehome victim fish. If the victim fish is your favorite, rehome the borleyi.

Keep in mind it may not work to keep aggressive with wimpy ( if you want max color). I have been successful choosing a theme, for me I kept wimpier haps and peacocks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species