Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.
Post a reply

Re: Multiple species of Placidochromis in 125

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:11 am

You decide what you want. If you want venustus maybe you take out the victim fish instead of the aggressor. If you are trying to get rid of the aggression, most of the Nimbochromis are going to behave in a similar way so that does not solve the problem. If you like the wimpier fish like me and want them to color, you realize the genus Nimbochromis may not work in your tank at all.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:36 pm

At which part of the forum can I ask for feed back on online sellers?

Thanks

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:38 pm

There is no forum, but you can look in Retailer Reviews or you can PM Members.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:58 pm

DJRansome wrote:There is no forum, but you can look in Retailer Reviews or you can PM Members.

Noting, that was a rule created by Eric, nearly 15 years ago, from a time when there were site sponsors, and they received preferential placement in Retailer Reviews for their sponsorship.

Now... is there any Such sponsors? For Online Fish purchases? It was a good rule, but sometimes they need to be looked at, to see if they still make sense. I looked at the Retailer Reviews, and many aren't even in business anymore!! Perhaps there is a way to encourage people to do a review, while allowing discussion?

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 pm

We can bring it up with the administrators.

Fogelhund, can you answer OP questions about his proposed mix of haps and how many of the big ones work in a 72" tank?

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi DJ
Can you tell me how I can tell the difference between male / female spawning vs male / male aggression circling?

I added some fish and they are re-establishing hierarchy right now. What I noticed is one of my OB peacock is constants following few of the new fishes and doing this slow circle with tail shaking really fast and also sniffing each other.

The OB looks like a male and I had it for a long while and never done this before or hold before, so I think it’s a male.

I am a little worry that it’s a female now.

Thanks

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:57 pm

If it is spawning there would be eggs. Aggression can be faster circles than spawning. The shaking/nipping is for either behavior.

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:06 pm

There was no eggs and they keep doing it. Also, my OB keep following one of the new fish all over the tank, not attacking it but almost like starking it. I temporarily took him out and no other fish doing this anymore.

Also, I noticed my VC 10, all the stripes when away and turned almost into a different fish when doing the circling with my OB, not that I took the OB out, all the stripes came back. Everyone are a lot calmer now.

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am

Hi
Does male Haps exhibits spawning behaviors in an all male tank without female? Like building nest and chasing fishes away from it? The reason I ask is all my fishes in the tank now are at decent sizes and all sold to me as male. I think they are male based on the color, fin shape etc.. (possible female because I know that is not 100%). Everything has been pretty calm for the past two weeks but today I noticed two of my fishes starting to take up a spot and building a nest. Do the dance with my Star Sapphire and chases everyone the comes close.

I wanted to know if this is normal in an all male tank or maybe my Star Sapphire is a female?

Thanks for your help

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:01 am

Here are some pictures of it
Attachments
2A87D7A6-2AC7-48E2-8CD9-396F40C9B240.jpeg
2A87D7A6-2AC7-48E2-8CD9-396F40C9B240.jpeg (27.55 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am

More pic
Attachments
D5A52565-911F-44EA-B207-292961524328.jpeg
D5A52565-911F-44EA-B207-292961524328.jpeg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:48 am

eric1115 wrote:Hi
Does male Haps exhibits spawning behaviors in an all male tank without female? Like building nest and chasing fishes away from it? The reason I ask is all my fishes in the tank now are at decent sizes and all sold to me as male. I think they are male based on the color, fin shape etc.. (possible female because I know that is not 100%). Everything has been pretty calm for the past two weeks but today I noticed two of my fishes starting to take up a spot and building a nest. Do the dance with my Star Sapphire and chases everyone the comes close.

I wanted to know if this is normal in an all male tank or maybe my Star Sapphire is a female?

What looks similar to spawning behavior is likely aggression, they look mostly the same. Claiming a territory (may look to you like building a nest) and chasing and "the dance" are all used to establish dominance over the others.

The trick with all-male is to minimize aggression as much as necessary to keep your fish healthy. It is possible your star sapphire is female but maybe even more likely it is just low man on the totem pole regarding dominance. He may be fine in that position or he may be chased relentlessly and get sick. Where is he hanging out in the tank?

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:29 pm

He swims all over the tank, eats well. The other fishes don't really chase him. Before today, none of the fishes in the tank get chase specificly or relentlessly. It's usually just chase away from each other once in a while and the longest chase I saw was 1/3 of the tank, no one hiding on top, corner or behind filter. There was some minor fin damage from the first few days after the few fishes were introduced.

All of sudden, starting few hours ago today, this one fish is chasing everyone and forcing everyone to one corner of the tank. Should I take him out or take the Star Sapphire out or just give them time and see if it calms down? The aggressive fish is Mylochromis Lateristriga at about 5.5 inch.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Strangely, everything just went back to normal again without me doing anything. Everyone is swimming around like nothing ever happen before. The Mylochromis still hover close to that spot be all of sudden calmed down and no longer chase anyone away anymore. So strange.

Sorry for all these questions and posts. First time with all male tank and trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:14 pm

I did have to remove Mylochromis from my hap/peacock tank due to aggression even though the species had worked for others. I did keep wimpy haps like the sapphire.

Expect frequent outbursts for the first 2 years and have a spare tank and a rehoming plan ready.

I think the guideline is see what happens until there are a number of minor injuries or fish are forced to half the tank or lurk under the surface or behind heaters or filter intakes.
Post a reply