Lake Malawi Species • Been Awhile...

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Been Awhile...

Postby [email protected] » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:35 pm

"New to the site" - actually was into the hobby over 10 years ago, and pretty active on the site. I had to give up my fish room to my newborn who is now 10. I had one tank, but was into breeding and trading a few strains of clean-lined F1, Mbuna's.

It's been awhile - I have a few questions if you can help me out ?

First, has the African cichlid craze died down a bit from 10-15 years ago ? When I look online for local fish 'for sale' - there are not many and even in aquariums, I don't see the selection and quality I used to see ( an indication that the local breeders might not be as prevalent ).

I would like to find some of the guys that were very active on Long Island - one, I knew, Stan ( Golfish), got out and moved to Florida - originally from Baldwin, but he knew his stuff. The other was Artie from Roslyn area - a great guy ! I've searched but can't find him and would really like to catch up with him.

Lastly, I used to trade a lot with many, local enthusiasts - don't think I ever actually bought a fish from an aquarium. Who are some guys on Long Island that are into Mbuna that I could get in touch with about stocking a soon-to-be-operational tank ?
[email protected]

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Been Awhile...

Postby DJRansome » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Look up eastcoastcichlids.org. You will find Artie and others from Long Island.

A big auction was planned for this month, but it has been postponed due to COVID.

A lot of LFS have gone out of business, but you will find some on that forum in NJ.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Been Awhile...

Postby ironspider » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 am

[email protected] wrote:"New to the site" - actually was into the hobby over 10 years ago, and pretty active on the site. I had to give up my fish room to my newborn who is now 10. I had one tank, but was into breeding and trading a few strains of clean-lined F1, Mbuna's.

It's been awhile - I have a few questions if you can help me out ?

First, has the African cichlid craze died down a bit from 10-15 years ago ? When I look online for local fish 'for sale' - there are not many and even in aquariums, I don't see the selection and quality I used to see ( an indication that the local breeders might not be as prevalent ).

I would like to find some of the guys that were very active on Long Island - one, I knew, Stan ( Golfish), got out and moved to Florida - originally from Baldwin, but he knew his stuff. The other was Artie from Roslyn area - a great guy ! I've searched but can't find him and would really like to catch up with him.

Lastly, I used to trade a lot with many, local enthusiasts - don't think I ever actually bought a fish from an aquarium. Who are some guys on Long Island that are into Mbuna that I could get in touch with about stocking a soon-to-be-operational tank ?

A few years ago I was looking around locally for breeders but found nothing on LI. And there seems to be nothing ever listed locally. Nor does the LFS know much about mbuna.
ironspider

Return to Lake Malawi Species