Lake Malawi Species • Will syn. Petricola go well with multipunctatus?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Will syn. Petricola go well with multipunctatus?

Postby CheekyGoblin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:16 pm

I have 4 Petricola, I know these guys like to be in groups but can I add 1-2 multipunctatus and the multipunctatus still be social and happy? I just don’t want them to be lonely if there’s not enough multis
CheekyGoblin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Will syn. Petricola go well with multipunctatus?

Postby jcover » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:52 pm

I would think that there could be potential aggression issues, or they would ignore each other. I've never kept both species together, but I know some synos don't like other species of synos. I personally would just stick with 1 species.
jcover

Postby Ryanblackheart » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 am

Synos are some of my favourite fish but I have had issues with even mixing lucipinis (dwarf Petricola) with OTHER lucipinis

1) how big is your tank
2) how big are the Petricola vs the multis
3) why do you want to add multis instead of more Petricola ds?

I have schools of 5 which work generally fine if you can get 5 similar size, if ever I have to add Synos I take the established school out into a rubber maid (with heater and adequate tank water) move the rocks Introduce the new Synos then 12/24 hours later drop the established ones back in

I have had to rehome synos due to inter species conflict so my assumption cross species conflict is even greater risk

www.planetcatfish.com know their stuff post this question there but I’m afraid the answer is probably going to be not advised
Ryanblackheart

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:52 am

Yes I would add lucipinnis as opposed to multipunctatus. I have had syno babies born in the tank and so I think various sizes are fine. I would add at least 3 fish however...not because they are synos but because it spreads out the aggression any newcomer will attract.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species