Lake Malawi Species • Recommended Compatible Species (Established Tank)

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Recommended Compatible Species (Established Tank)

Postby NeonRabbit » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Here is my current stocking list:
7 Labidochromis Caerueus
5 OB Peacocks
4 Ngara Flametails
5 Copadichromis sp. "Virginalis Gold"
2 Synodontis Ocellifer

It has been 1 year since I start my 75 Gallon and overall everyone has been getting along but the OB and Ngara. It took a while but I sectioned off zones of the tank so the mbuna have their rock work and OB/Ngara have some sandy areas with caves and such. The Ngara have luckily never brooded (I know... hybrids) as they are all females and I will likely rehome them this weekend. While I have my tank in a frenzy I was wondering if I could get some stocking suggestions. My ratios on my labs is fairly off (4 female and 3 male) and my copadichromis has never bred so I am looking to correct these issues as well. Would it be a bad idea to introduce a new species? Just correct the ratio issues knowing these fish all get along fairly well?
For the first 9 months both the OB and Labs were breeding like crazy but that has dropped off slightly...

Any known supplier of the Virginalis Gold? <vendor name removed> have dropped them from their supply list. I refuse to do business with <vendor name removed>.
Last edited by DJRansome on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cichlid-forum would like to keep review-type information in the Reviews section and out of the forums.
NeonRabbit

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Recommended Compatible Species (Established Tank)

Postby DJRansome » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:03 pm

I would not expect the Ngara and Copadichromis to do well with the OB peacocks. Did they color at all? It may be you have some male Ngara that are not able to color with the OB peacocks in the tank.

What about swapping out the Copadichromis for Placidochromis electra and the Ngara for acei?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby NeonRabbit » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 am

The Ngara never colored up and the male was picked on to the point that no LFS would take him due to injuries. It was a mess of a situation.
The copadichromis have actually colored up very nicely but were fairly slow to do so.. about 4-5 months after I got them as juveniles. No visible aggression against them except an early loss a month or so in.
NeonRabbit

Postby NeonRabbit » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 am

Missed the Acei tidbit. I love their color and will consider them. More aggressive or less aggressive than Labs?
NeonRabbit

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:08 pm

More aggressive than labs but less aggressive than OB peacocks, depending on the individual.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species