Lake Malawi Species • Pseudotropheus WILLIAMSI "Blue Lips" Makonde

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Pseudotropheus WILLIAMSI "Blue Lips" Makonde

Postby GarPac19 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:57 pm

i have been looking to purchase a "group" of this beautiful fish for some time now. The issue is i would be adding to a 90 gallon species tank which currently houses 3 Mbuna species (Yello Lab, Purple Acei, & Marmalade Fullerboni). I guess my broad question is: if you know the WILLIAMSI, what would you do? Should i pull the trigger, what is your suggestion for ratio between male and females. And overall, i'd enjoy some thoughts on this fish in general.
GarPac19

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pseudotropheus WILLIAMSI "Blue Lips" Makonde

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:19 pm

What are the ratios of the other fish? Four species can work with 1m:4f of each but you may want more females than that for both your williamsi and your fuelleborni.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BlueSunshine » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 pm

I think the williamsi would be a great addition to your tank. I'd go 1m/4fm. I would think the acei to be the weak link in the tank, not saying they won't work.
Our williamsi males grow to about 7.5" to almost 8". Our fuelleborni grow to 6.5"to 7". We keep both together with yellow labs and all has been good.
BlueSunshine

Postby GarPac19 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks much for your insight Gentlemen. I feel much better about purchasing a colony of Blue Lips with current tank mates. Now the search ensues for a stunning group to purchase.
GarPac19

Return to Lake Malawi Species