Lake Malawi Species • 75 gallon mbuna question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

75 gallon mbuna question

Postby Reddog1970 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:13 pm

My 75 gallon tank has been up and running now for about 2.5 years. I have 2 Eheim 2217’s and about to add an Aquaclear 110, so filtration is good. My water parameters are all good(Ph 8.0 to 8.2, ammonia and nitrite 0, and nitrate stays between 10 and 20 with weekly 50-60% water changes. I currently have 16 mbuna and 4 cats as follows:

7 yellow labs. (originally 1 male and 4 female, grew out a few babies and now may have 2 or 3 males)

4 red zebras. (Originally 1 male and 4 female, but 2 or 3 ended up being male so now I think I have 2 male and 2 female)

3 yellowtail acei (I believe they are all female)

2 Jalo Reef (1 male 1 female)

4 synodontis multi’s

There is moderate aggression in the tank but nothing serious. I am wondering if adding to the tank would be beneficial? If so, I was considering adding a group of Maingano (1 male and 4-6 females) and I’m wondering what you think? Would I be asking for trouble with another male in the tank or would having the tank more heavily stocked help with aggression? Would a 5 th species of mbuna be too much for a 75?
Also would a 10 gallon hospital tank be ok to quarantine them in?
75G caeruleus, Jalo Reef, sp. Acei, estherae, multipunctatus
Reddog1970

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 75 gallon mbuna question

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:26 pm

I would not add a species unless you are changing to a 72" tank.

But I definitely would correct the ratios of the Cynotilapia and the estherae. 1m:4f of each. I would not save fry from the labs or the zebras since they crossbreed quite commonly. Fry can look exactly like either parent. A 10G would be OK for 4 Jalo and 4 estherae juveniles for 3 weeks.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Reddog1970 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:28 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would not add a species unless you are changing to a 72" tank.

But I definitely would correct the ratios of the Cynotilapia and the estherae. 1m:4f of each. I would not save fry from the labs or the zebras since they crossbreed quite commonly. Fry can look exactly like either parent. A 10G would be OK for 4 Jalo and 4 estherae juveniles for 3 weeks.

Thanks DJ! I should have listened to you in the first place and gone with Maingano instead of Jalo Reef. So I definitely will add 4 estherae. We’d prefer to not add more Cynotilapia and replace them with Maingano once they are gone. So far the female Jalo isn’t getting bullied at all. Do you think I should try to add a few female and a male Acei to bring their numbers up as well?
Reddog1970

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 pm

If you are going to swap out the cynotilapia with maingano, you will need 1m:7f of them. I would not tamper with the acei if they are fine, but I would isolate the yellow labs that you grew out as hybrid suspects.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Reddog1970 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks again DJ! I’m will hold off on Maingano unless I regime my Jalo Reef. I’m going to add Red Zebras. Separate question, can I mix red zebra and OB Red Zebra? I apologize if this has been asked before.

Mike
Reddog1970

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:49 pm

You can mix the females but don't save fry from the tank. One estherae/tank.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species