Lake Malawi Species • Auratus question

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Auratus question

Postby CheekyGoblin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm thinking about adding 1-3 female auratus to my current tank. Definitely wont add a male but they're reputation makes me a little nervous. Everyone gets pretty much fine in my tank, all juveniles right now.
Current stock 140 galon tank
7 yellow lab 2m 5f
8 red zebra 2 m 4 f, 2 unsure about
2 f snow white socolofi
4 red top hongi- unsexed
1 maingano- male
1 emperor pleco and 1 mustard spot pleco.
The maingano is the biggest but he doesnt really bother anyone but he doesnt have any fish with similar colorations in the tank right now.
CheekyGoblin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Auratus question

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What is the length of the tank? If it is 72" I would say you are already overstocked to the right level, but I would remove labs and zebras and add more socolofi, hongi and maingano.

I would not add auratus, even if they are only 1-3 females.

You are not saving fry from this tank?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CheekyGoblin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:59 pm

DJRansome wrote:Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What is the length of the tank? If it is 72" I would say you are already overstocked to the right level, but I would remove labs and zebras and add more socolofi, hongi and maingano.

I would not add auratus, even if they are only 1-3 females.

You are not saving fry from this tank?

60 ", how many fish in a 140 do you think is the correct level of overstocking? I have heard many different things. I usually give away fry depending on what they are. I like the yellow lab zebra hybrid thats why theyre in there, but I dont give them away usually unless someone wants them.
CheekyGoblin

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 pm

In a 72" tank I would say 5 species with 1m:4f of each if they are small and peaceful. This tank is a foot smaller. The maingano you want 7 females with your male.

Some fishkeepers put in so many fish that they have to dodge their neighbors. I like to stock as few as possible to manage aggression well, yet allow for as much natural behavior as possible.

It would be hard to know what the fry are in your tank. Ideally you would keep any hybrids or possible hybrids in your tanks for their lifetimes.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ironspider » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am

Funny this comes up today. Yesterday GF and I were at the LFS looking at some fish, there was one fish inside a clear plastic "cage" inside of the tank. He was so aggressive he was trying to get to the others while inside the cage. He was big, like 4 inches. I asked the LFS operator what he was and how old. He said it's an Auratus and he got him that big about a week ago and immediately started to terrorize any tank he was put into, so he had to separate him.

Are they normally that aggressive?
ironspider

Postby ken31cay » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:49 am

ironspider wrote:Funny this comes up today. Yesterday GF and I were at the LFS looking at some fish, there was one fish inside a clear plastic "cage" inside of the tank. He was so aggressive he was trying to get to the others while inside the cage. He was big, like 4 inches. I asked the LFS operator what he was and how old. He said it's an Auratus and he got him that big about a week ago and immediately started to terrorize any tank he was put into, so he had to separate him.

Are they normally that aggressive?

A few years ago my kids had an adult female Auratus (in a tank too small) that killed all the other tank inhabitants then picked the eyes out of the plecos. When I finally took notice I sorted the situation, but I was myself shocked at the ferocity of the species.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:01 pm

I think the answer is yes. But also I would expect any healthy adult cichlid to freak out in a breeder box, I don't advise this except for overnight emergency rehoming.

They can be manageable in a species tank (with occasional deaths) if it is 48x18 but ideally they would be one of 3 aggressive species in a 72" tank. LOTS of females.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species