Lake Malawi Species • Which pleco?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Which pleco?

Postby leftover710 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 am

I am looking for an interesting pleco to go with my large Malawi group. I have kept Trinidad, bristle nose,salefin, etc; Basically all the more common "pet store variety" of pleco. I want something herbivore, omnivore; something that is more algae grazer preferably and that doesn't grow over 10 inches.
It's home would be my 180g, with mbuna, peacock, and a couple of haps; about 50 fish total.
Anyway, I was hoping somebody here might have an interesting suggestion. Also if said "somebody" knew a reputable online seller of suggested pleco...... I know thats asking alot. Sorry for being so needy for my very first post. :oops:
Dan
leftover710

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Which pleco?

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:37 pm

Bristle nose seem to do the best with Africans; be aware that it may still be harassed. Anything with protruding eyes would be a bad choice.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Re: Which pleco?

Postby fish1234 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:24 pm

I agree, bristle/bushy nose is the best bet. I had a few different plecos and the ones that fair the best were these. They are by far the best algae eaters too.
fish1234

Return to Lake Malawi Species