Lake Malawi Species • How to go about adding more fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

How to go about adding more fish

Postby ReelBigFish » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm

So my first cichlid experience did not go too well.

I tried to go with 1m:4f stocking of Saulosi, Perlmutt, and Maingano but most died due to not being able to handle aggression properly (water params are fine). One of the Maingano was so large compared to the others I think it may have been another species, I recently lost 3 when I rescaled the rock work. I want to try again and I'm more willing to remove troublemakers because when I tried this the other fish would become aggressive to create their new hierarchy (my mistake was to keep thinking they'd settle down).

My current stocking is 2 female Perlmutt, one large Maingano (not sure on sex), one female and one male Saulosi who currently appears mostly yellow but you can see the stripes under blue light. All seem able to hold their own against each other and the aggression is currently ok.

I also have 6 Syno Petricola.

What would be the best way to go about restocking with more mbuna? If I added 15 juvies of the Saulosi or Perlmutt and removed as they matured would this work? Or do you have to constantly remove and restock with them?

Tank is 55 gallon with 2 hydor 350 cannisters. I don't want to have to overstock so much that I have to do more than one water change per week.
ReelBigFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How to go about adding more fish

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:43 pm

I would skip the maingano in a 55G. Why not add 8 unsexed juveniles of the saulosi and the permutt and just go with the 2 species.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species